Regents pass sports complex, Troxel Hall, discuss salaries

Paige Godden

The final proposal for the Cyclone Sports Complex passed the Board of Regents at its meeting Wednesday.

The city of Ames Public Works Department put together a summary regarding storm water issues that community members have stressed, which were presented before the board.

“The representatives from Snyder [Associates] and the city engineer … indicate the design being proposed meets and exceeds the requirements of the city,” said Warren Madden, vice president of Business and Finance.

Regent Robert Downer said he raised some questions about the Cyclone Sports Complex during the Regents’ last meeting, but he thought the solution to the drainage issue addressed the problems “on a permanent level.”

Madden said that the project is set to begin this summer so the grass in the complex will have a year-long growing period.

Madden also gave an update on flood recovery and mitigation, stating that there are metal panels for Scheman that can be installed to all building openings during a flooding situation.

“We believe we can seal this building in about 30 minutes with the system that is now designed,” Madden said.

Madden said the university has substantially finished the work that needed to be done in Hilton and recovery throughout most of the campus.

The university is still working with FEMA on claims and reimbursement issues.

The Regents passed the schematic design proposal for Troxel Hall.

Troxel Hall will be a new science and lecture building and is an $11 million project.

“This is a much needed facility … the science buildings are in much need of replacement,” Madden said.

The board invited non-represented faculty and staff of the university for the purpose of collective bargaining for salary policies for the next fiscal year.

Michael Owen, president of the Faculty Senate, said ISU faculty salaries remain among the bottom of peer universities.

He said associate and assistant professors are faring a little better, but they are still at the bottom of their peer group.

Owen said that adjustments in salary will be in response to performance and retention issues, and a minimum salary increase will only be given as the somewhat-limited funds will allow.

He said faculty dissatisfaction is rising because of additional costs that have been put on them such as increasing health benefit costs.

Owen said he fears faculty will be seeking better opportunities elsewhere.

“There will be no mass exodus, but faculty members will be leaving in the future,” Owen said.

Mike Clarridge from the Professional and Scientific Council said the past three years has been one of the roughest times in history.

He mentioned the 25 percent reductions the university has experienced and the increase in gas prices and goods and services.

Clarridge said the Professional and Scientific Council did a survey, and it found that faculty are staying because of “the rewarding work.”

He said the other reason faculty stay is because of growth in benefits.

Roberta Johnson, director of Student Financial Aid, updated the Regents on student aid issues.

She said this summer will be the second summer students will be able to get Pell Grants during the summer months, and it will likely the be last.

“All of the programs will be facing major changes shortly,” Johnson said.

She said that the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant almost got cut in the Senate but made it through this year.

“We fully expect that the program will be back on the chopping block as congress instigates the budget for FY 2012,” Johnson said.

Representatives from Isaacson, Miller; Greenwood/Asher Associates Inc.; R. William Funk and Associates and Parker Executive Search participated in an interview process for consulting services for a search to identify candidates for Iowa State’s next president.

The board won’t make a decision on the interviews until its June 8 meeting.