Schwager: Further your experiences as the semester winds down

File photo: David Derong/Iowa State Daily

J.T. Daly, lead vocalist for Paper Route, performs April 9 for the 10,000 Hours Show at the M-Shop.

Clare Schwager

College can be described in a number of ways. First and foremost, it is an academic introduction to the trials and tribulations of what our elders like to call “the real world.” Students develop the skills necessary to survive and thrive in this world we’ve been warned about since the introduction of cursive in third grade.

Universities have been around for centuries, and there’s no denying the advantage college grads have over non-graduates when it comes time to secure a career. But aside from the purely academic aspect, college offers the chance to learn about things you won’t find on a bubble sheet test.

Looking back on this year, I know I wouldn’t have had nearly as much fun if I hadn’t stepped out of my comfort zone and tried new things.

Clubs are probably the easiest way to get involved outside of class. There are hundreds of clubs associated with Iowa State, anything from the Feral Cat Alliance to the ISU Quidditch Club. I can think of at least 10 clubs I’d love to join, if only there was more time in the day. Along with intramurals, clubs offer so many chances to get out and find a new hobby or interest, or to make a difference in the community.

Along those lines, volunteering is an excellent way to establish roots in the community, find new friends and help better the world around us. It’s something I need to do more of, and campus offers so many opportunities, such as the 10,000 Hours Show or the blood drive held on campus every fall and spring. There are a million ways to get involved in so many different interest areas. I really don’t have an excuse for not doing more. I plan to change that next year. This summer even.

The other day I ventured into the Ames Asian Market near Hy-Vee, unsure what to expect. The little store was filled with all sorts of interesting foods, some familiar, and some not at all. I’ve lived in Ames all my life, and there are so many places I’ve never been to or explored. The Ames British Foods store is also a great place to check out; the chocolate bars there are amazing. Pammel Grocery on Colorado Avenue in Ames offers all kinds of Indian, Pakistani and Middle Eastern products, and they have a mini restaurant right inside the store where you can get great beef gyros or chicken biryani.

Ames has plenty of interesting stores like these, all within walking distance or CyRide’s reach. With the school year coming to a close and finals approaching, I’ve begun to dread classes — I’m sure everyone’s in the same boat, professors as well — especially on those brilliant, sunny days. But after reflecting on the past year, I realized college is more than just classes. It’s also about the friends you make, the new experiences, finding interests. Sure, we’re all here to learn — and don’t get me wrong, I love to learn — but there are so many different discoveries to be made outside of the classroom.

That’s the great thing about college. As we’re prepped and tested for “the real world” in classes, we’ve been experiencing it all along.