ISU College Republicans host Conservative Coming Out Week

Hilary Bassett

All week the ISU College Republicans will be hosting their first Conservative Coming Out Week in order to educate students and get them interested in the conservative movement.

Each day, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the free speech zone in front of the library, the club will introduce a new theme or activity designed to teach students about what exactly it means to be a conservative.

“Basically why we’re doing it is to let people know on campus that there actually are conservatives,” said Logan Pals, president of the ISU College Republicans. “The word conservative is not a bad thing.”

Monday, the club will cover the basics of being a conservative through pamphlets and speeches from prominent members of the conservative movement.

Tuesday honors the founding fathers through the re-enactment of speeches and by handing out constitutions. Members will also be handing out Godfather’s Pizza as part of the event.

On Wednesday, the ISU College Republicans will be honoring people in the conservative community, namely former president George W. Bush and Governor Walker of Wisconsin. This will be done through posters and informational flyers.

Thursday, students can come by and get some pulled pork BBQ with chips and cookies. There will also be an informational meeting at 7:30 p.m. in 101 Carver Hall, featuring speakers from different levels of government.

On Friday, the club will be putting together troop care packages and creating posters thanking the ROTC students on campus.

“We’ll also be thanking the patriots of the conservative movement, people like Ronald Reagan and Abe Lincoln and the Founding Fathers as well,” Pals said.

Students can also expect red punch pong throughout the entire week during the event as a way for students to get involved and have fun.

“It’s good for recruitment because you get a lot more people and a lot more face-time when you’re doing something on campus,” Pals said. “People actually realize that there are ISU College Republicans and when they see you doing stuff and having fun and they actually want to get involved.”