Fred Karger to visit Ames

Hilary Bassett

Presidential candidate Fred Karger will be visiting Ames on Monday night on his path to win the Republican bid for the 2012 election.

Karger will be hosting the meet and greet at Legend’s Bar and Grill in the Skybox room from 6 to 7:30 p.m. for all students and faculty to “hear his vision for putting America back on track,” according to a recent news release.

This event will mark Karger’s seventh trip to Iowa, much of which will be spent on college campuses because of the strong response he’s had with students in the past.

“It’s just his whole demeanor, he’s very outgoing and friendly and just has a lot of energy, and I think that really captures students’ attention,” said Nathan Treloar, ISU director for the campaign.

Karger’s campaign also symbolizes a historical moment for the U.S., Treloar said.

“I would be an unconventional candidate, and if I run, I will wage an unconventional campaign,” Karger said in his speech announcing his possible candidacy in April 2010. “I would be the first openly gay candidate to seek the nomination of a major political party as its presidential candidate.”

In order to get the word out, Karger has enlisted the help of a couple organizations on campus such as the ISU College Republicans and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Student Services.

“We put it out to all students, like we would in any case,” said Brad Freihoefer, coordinator of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Student Services. “I think there’s a lot of history in the making here, which is great, and I think that will certainly be of interest to students.”

Because it is Dead Week, the ISU College Republicans cannot officially host any events, but they are working to spread the word and have invited the Story County Republican Central Committee.

“We always try to have an additional candidate come to talk with us,” said Logan Pals, president of the ISU College Republicans and senior in industrial engineering. “It’s a different perspective we get to hear.”

Because of the busy schedules for both students and faculty with finals coming up, the event is planned to be casual.

“We wanted to get there and give the students and faculty the opportunity to meet Fred, so it’s a very casual affair,” Treloar said. “If someone has a few minutes to stop by and say ‘hi,’ that’s really what is wanted.”