Senior Week to honor, celebrate ISU senior students

Frances Myers

Today kicks off the start of Senior Week, an ISU event held in honor of the students who are preparing to finish their education and embark on their career journies.

“The goal of Senior Week is to give back and appreciate all of the graduating seniors’ accomplishments and contributions they have made to Iowa State,” said Marybeth Konkowski, junior in communication studies and president of the Senior Student Council. “All of our events have no strings attached. We just want to help seniors build excitement about making the leap into the ‘real world,’ while reminding them that Iowa State will always be here and not to forget all of their hopefully great times spent here.”

The ISU Senior Council holds a Senior Week once during the fall semester and once during the spring semester. Senior Week celebrates ISU seniors through “food, fun and connections to Iowa State.”

During this week, Senior Class Council provides seniors with food on campus at noon for four days, provides a senior commemorative package for $10 as well as administers tours of ISU facilities.

“Senior packages will be sold at all of the week’s events,” Konkowski said. “They include a senior T-shirt, mug and slap koozie.”

The first day of Senior Week will be Wieners for Seniors. This will take place on Central Campus from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Tuesday will be the Grad Breakfast from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. This will be a free breakfast for senior students and prepared by ISU professors.

A Grad Fair will take place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday. This will be at the University Book Store. At the Grad Fair, seniors can visit the booths and pick up different kinds of free stuff and information they will need to plan for graduation.

Wednesday will also be the Student Alumni Association Renewal Barbeque from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Central Campus.

“The barbeque is free for seniors to eat, but underclassmen should come and renew their [Student Alumni Association] membership if they would like to eat free as well,” Konkowski said.

Seniors can attend a networking dinner at the Skybox at Legend’s Restaurant on Thursday. Seniors who attend will get the chance to network with business professionals from across the state of Iowa at this dinner.

“Here, there will be free food at Legends Restaurant,” Konkowski said. “This will definitely be an opportunity for students to mingle with area business professionals and hear what they have to say about graduating and advice for the real world.”

Friday, April 29 will close Spring Senior Week with a Senior Send-Off from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Iowa State University Alumni Association Center. Two free drink tickets, live music and free food will be given to all graduating seniors.

“Graduating is an exciting, sometimes nerve-wracking, time in everyone’s life,” Konkowski said. “It’s important to celebrate either way. I believe it’s even more important to remember everything that Iowa State has given us in our time here as students and be sure to stay connected and give back in the future.”