CSI: VEISHEA to educate on sugary beverages

Lea Petersen

What if your favorite refreshing beverage is the real cause of that “Freshman 15?” After the VEISHEA parade Saturday, head over to CSI: VEISHEA in MacKay Auditorium to find out.

The communicating nutrition messages class taught by Ruth Litchfield, associate professor of food sciences and human nutrition, came together to choose an awareness campaign on a current nutritional issue that they will showcase during VEISHEA.

“Obesity is a complicated condition that is caused by many different lifestyle and diet choices. We wanted to target a modifiable diet behavior so we decided on the over-consumption of sugary beverages,” said Katie Paige, senior in dietetics.

Paige, along with Korie Lown, senior in dietetics, are acting as “crime scene investigators” by presenting information about healthy and unhealthy beverage choices.

Students can follow and find clues on the CSI poster by using a black light to search through it and find the nutritional value of their most beloved beverages. Students are encouraged to take informational brochures with them designed to help them make smart beverage choices in the future.

“We hope students will gain the tools they need to make healthier drink choices,” Paige and Lown said in an email. “We also aim to inform them of how many calories they are drinking and what consequences they may be facing.”

“Choosing better drinks can require some knowledge and thought but hopefully after visiting CSI: Ames they’ll understand why that diet change is so important and they’ll know how to do it.”

While some drinks have a better nutritional profile than others, don’t completely kick that Venti Orange Mocha Frappuccino, just keep moderation in mind and choose healthier drinks more often.

“I recommend water, milk and 100 percent fruit juices; however, there are many other options,” Paige said. “Drink slower and truly enjoy your beverage just as you would savor every bite of a homemade meal.”