Iowa State Daily wins Best Daily Newspaper in SPJ Region 7

Jessica Opoien

I’m very proud to announce that the Iowa State Daily’s print newspaper and website are both No. 1 in the region.

The Iowa State Daily was named the Best All-Around Daily Student Newspaper among 4-year colleges and universities for the 2010 Region 7 Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Awards. Its website, iowastatedaily.net, was named the Best Affiliated Web Site among 4-year colleges and universities.

Several Daily staffers were also given first-place awards, which were presented at the 2010 SPJ Region 7 Spring Conference in Overland Park, Kan. on April 9.

Dylan Boyle received a first-place award in Breaking News Photography among 4-year colleges and universities, for his photo, “Elections 2010 – Terry Branstad.” Kelsey Kremer’s photo, “Cyclone Stampede: Kickin’ Up Dust,” took first place in Sports Photography among 4-year colleges and universities, and my photo, “President Obama holds ‘backyard chat’ in Des Moines” took first place in General News Photography among 4-year colleges and universities.

Entries that placed first in the region are automatically entered in the SPJ National Mark of Excellence competition. Results are announced in fall 2011.

Kremer also received two second-place photography awards, for “Career Fair persists” (General News Photography among 4-year colleges and universities) and “Diwali Night – Haema Nilakanta” (Feature Photography among 4-year colleges and universities). 

A team of reporters — Sarah Haas, Rashah McChesney, Kim Norvell and myself — received a second place award in Breaking News Reporting among 4-year colleges and universities for our coverage in the story, “Jon Lacina’s body found.”

The winners from the Daily weren’t the only ISU representatives in the awards. Tyler Kingkade, editor in chief of Ethos Magazine, won first place in Online Feature Reporting for his Huffington Post story, “Battle Over Judge Retention in Iowa.” 

Trend Magazine also received a third-place award in the category of Best Student Magazine among 4-year colleges and universities. 

Congratulations to all the winners.