Multicultural students at top of list for Black Cultural Center

Ebony+Williams+is+the+coordinator+for+the+Multicultural+Program+at+Iowa+State+and+also+works+with+the+Black+Cultural+Center.+She+says+that+the+center+is+open+and+has+Wi-Fi%2C+and+to+be+sure+to+check+them+out+on+their+Facebook+page.+

Photo:Bryan Langfeldt/Iowa State Daily

Ebony Williams is the coordinator for the Multicultural Program at Iowa State and also works with the Black Cultural Center. She says that the center is open and has Wi-Fi, and to be sure to check them out on their Facebook page.

Alli Kolick

Ebony Williams has put multicultural students at the top of her list.

Williams is one of three new staff members in the Multicultural Student Affairs office — along with Adele Lozano and Mathilda Tuuli — and is a program coordinator for multicultural programming.

Williams started working with students at her Alma Mater, Meredith College in Raleigh, N.C., initially intending to work as a news reporter.

As she continued to work with students as a hall director at Meredith College and then at Tulane University in New Orleans, she discovered that this was her calling.

“Through being a hall director I decided that this was my passion. This is what I wanted to do,” Williams said. “Part of the reason why I felt like working with students was my calling was because there were so many people that were there to help me get to where I am that I just wanted to give back to other people.”

At Iowa State, Williams works with transitions and the end-of-the-year recognition ceremony.

Throughout the year, Williams helps with more specific programming such as Black History Month in February.

Williams also provides programming for the Black Cultural Center. The Black Cultural Center is a place that allows black students to learn about their cultural identity, further their education and provide a relaxing environment.

Due to its location on Welch Avenue, Williams said many students might be unaware of where it is or that it’s even attached to the university.

“We’ve done a lot more this semester, as far as programming,”  Williams said. “We had an open house in January just to reintroduce people to the Black Cultural Center.”

The open house provided tours and refreshments to visitors and highlighted the amenities the Black Cultural Center has to offer to students, such as cable television, Wi-Fi and a kitchen.

“We also have open hours,” Williams said.

Williams also is involved widely with other multicultural organizations on campus.

Williams has worked with Ashleigh Smith, graduate in statistics, supporting students that may be underprepared. She also contributed to another program with Anthony Maly, GSB finance director and senior in political science, that deals with budgeting within organizations.

Programs like these allow students to feel more at ease when dealing with unfamiliar situations, such as budgeting.

“[Maly] came in and made sure students had their budgets prepared and answered any questions that they had,” Williams said.

Toward the end of the semester, Multicultural Student Affairs will recognize graduating seniors as well as other nominated students.

The Hip-Hop Doc will present on health and wellness April 26.

“It’s a great opportunity for students to learn about health and wellness with a hip-hop spin to it,” Williams said.