Budget cuts affect Iowa State, peer universities

Iowa Regents Universities Jenga

Courtesy photo: Thinkstock

Iowa Regents Universities Jenga

Hilary Bassett

The budget cuts seen at Iowa’s Regent Universities are part of a growing trend across the nation with almost every public university facing tuition increases, layoffs and other efficiencies as a result of cuts from state funding.

At many universities, it seems students may take the brunt of this decline in funding as tuition hikes are becoming the norm, said Jason Chrystal, academic adviser for the political science department.

“We’re going to talk about being leaner, but what’s eventually going to happen is fees are going to be increased, fees for distance education classes are going to be increased along with tuition,” Chrystal said.

In Iowa, funding from the state has dropped almost 38 percent, while funding from tuition has grown over 33 percent, according to the Iowa Board of Regents. This shows ISU students and families are now switching places with the state when it comes to funding larger portions of their education.

“These disproportionate cuts are unfair and put our students at risk,” said David Miles, president of the Iowa Board of Regents and Jack Evans, president pro tem, in an editorial for the Board of Regents. “Since 2001, funding for all other areas of state government has grown 28 percent, while appropriations to Iowa’s Public Universities and Special Schools have been cut 24 percent.”

But while an increase in tuition may seem daunting to students on campus, Iowa State still has one of the lowest costs of attendance among its peer universities.

At the University of Illinois-Urbana, the resident tuition is already set at $13,658, according to their website, and tuition increases aren’t out of the question.

With additional cuts students should expect larger class sizes, a decrease in class diversity and, of course a tuition increase, Chrystal said.

“If departments are losing faculty members and they’re not being allowed to hire temporary instructors or full time tenure-track appointees, then you’re going to have a decrease in the number of courses that are going to be offered from major to major,” Chrystal said.

Schools from the same peer group, a group of 11 land grant, research-oriented universities comparable to Iowa State, face the same budget concerns as Iowa’s Regent Universities.

The University of California-Davis will see the same trend appear at their school. The chancellor and provost recently wrote a letter to the president of the University of California outlining their plan to become more efficient and make up for their loss of almost $73 million in state funding.

In their plan they wrote of program closures and a reduction in student services that help students succeed in their academic career.

But these cuts don’t only affect students. Faculty and staff members at universities across the nation also face repercussions from budget cuts.

There have been 2,100 positions from the state’s two public universities eliminated already, according to the Arizona Board of Regents.

In Texas, the president of Texas A&M recently gave a presentation to the House Appropriations Committee, showing that 200 faculty members and 200 staff members have been laid off in the wake of these cuts and more should be anticipated if cuts continue.

There are some universities that seem to be faring better than others, said Jim Lynch, the director of media relations at Ohio State University, their university is unique because it is one of the largest economic drivers for the state and also employs much of the workforce.

“Thanks to prudent fiscal management, we entered the recession in strong financial health,” Lynch said.

But the university is still preparing for possible cuts. Their website noted the recent approval of the “Separation Incentive and Phased Retirement Program.” This program would provide a cash incentive to those thinking of relocating, whose positions could then be used for new programs or to help balance the budget.

Phased retirement would allow for those who are a few years out from retiring, but would like the option to phase into retirement rather than a sudden change.

Iowa State, along with other universities, has already enacted several changes to become more efficient.

Students are already experiencing larger classes, more crowded laboratories, and fewer elective choices, according to Miles and Evans, but some would argue that this isn’t enough.

“Trying to amalgamate departments or colleges is a one-time budget savings,” Chrystal said. “I would argue that nothing has been done to save cost.”

Much of the impact on Iowa State and other universities around the country is still unknown, but students, parents, faculty and staff will definitely feel the affects.

“Anything that is cut, whether it’s maintenance staff, whether it’s individuals that clean the buildings, keep up the grounds, serve the food, it’s going to affect student education and just not in the way of class sizes or faculty or research,” said Chrystal. “It’s going to affect the entire Iowa State University experience.”