Greek community organizes prom dress drive

Mary-Kate Burkert

The Iowa State greek community organized a prom dress drive that will donate all collected dresses to Becca’s Closet in Newton.

“Becca’s Closet is an organization that was formed to honor Rebecca Kirtman,” Shannon Cooper, Collegiate Panhellenic Council vice president of philanthropy and community service. “The aim of this organization is to provide formal wear, i.e. prom dresses to high school students who would otherwise not be able to afford one.”

Any student in the surrounding area has the ability to stop by, shop and take one home.

“As all girls know, the most important thing about high school is prom/homecoming, and the perfect dress makes for the perfect night,” Cooper said. “I believe students should donate their dresses to create that special night for several young girls that we ourselves once had.”

Cooper is passionate about this event because “life is about the little things. I know that no one wears their dresses anymore and giving something that is just gathering dust in your closet to make a young lady’s night magical is so special. Projects such as these are what make community service special.”

The collection runs through 5 p.m. Friday, and drop offs are located at Kappa Kappa Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta and the Memorial Union Office of Greek Affairs.