Agronomy creates new plant breeding program for professionals

Stephanie Luhring

The ISU agronomy department developed a new advanced degree in plant breeding for the distance learning Master of Science program.

“Plant breeding is the establishment of new plant varieties,” said Thomas Lubberstedt, professor of agronomy.

Lubberstedt described plant breeding as a “man-driven evolution” as people work to improve crop yields and adapt plant genetics to alternate uses. Corn adapted for use as ethanol, soybeans adapted to make a healthier cooking oil and crops resistant to herbicides are a few examples of the effects of plant breeding.

Dawn Miller of the Agronomy Distance Master Programs said the program would be for working professionals looking to advance in their career without leaving their jobs to gain an advanced degree.

The agronomy department conducted a needs assessment before developing the program and communicated with plant-breeding companies to see if there was an interest in the program. The plant-breeding program was in the works for three years, and there were several prospective students waiting for word to enroll.

Miller said prospective students will gain the theoretical knowledge behind the technical experience.

“Plant breeding is not static; it’s always changing,” Lubberstedt said.

A working knowledge of agronomy is helpful in understanding plant breeding beyond the basic mechanical level provided to plant-breeding employees.

The program will offer courses in agronomy, genetics, molecular biotechnology, plant diseases, statistics, experimental design and quantitative genetics.

Miller said the program would likely take working professionals three to five years to complete if they take one to two courses per semester. The courses take some time and full-time employees would be advised to take no more than three courses per semester.

The faculty for the program would come from professors already on campus and working professionals who have an interest in teaching courses.

Miller and Lubberstedt agreed that employers need employees with a broader general background in agronomy as well as the theoretical plant-breeding knowledge, and that is what this program is offering.