Students will compete in knockout game for world record

Mckenzie Vogt

Now that the weather is gradually getting warmer, the VEISHEA Tournament Committee is putting the final touches on all activities. On March 8 at Hilton Coliseum, the committee is hosting a competitive knockout game.

Brian Capesius, senior in mechanical engineering, explained how the idea came to him. “Last May I had knee surgery, so I spent the entire summer cooped up on the couch. I was really bored, and I started thinking of ways my basketball club could reach out to more students.”

“After coming up with the idea to break the Guinness World Record for Largest Knockout Game, I realized the magnitude of the idea, and I knew my seven ISBA officers and I could never pull it off. Then when school started, I brought the idea to the VEISHEA Executive Committee, and it’s taken off from there,” Capesius said.

Currently James Madison University holds the record with 201 participants. The completion of that game took roughly two hours.

They estimate about 500 participants for this upcoming game.

“The game is simple,” said Jake Smith, senior in mechanical engineering. “In knockout, there is a line of people at the free-throw line with two basketballs. The first person shoots the ball, then the next person shoots right after him. If the second person makes the shot before the first person makes it, then the first person is out. The game keeps going until there is just one person left.”

Pre-registration to participate is available on VEISHEA’s Facebook page, but walk-ins are welcome. Registration will begin at 6 p.m. and go until 6:30 the day of the game.

“We cannot charge the students to play; it will only take away from people showing up,” said Sarah Milner, senior in marketing.

The main rule is that all participants have to be either an ISU student or staff member. T-shirts will be sold at the game for five dollars.

“We hope to keep things orderly by handing out numbers to help rotate everyone in numerical order until the participants have been narrowed down,” said Blake Woebbeking, senior in agricultural business.

“Rules show that there will have to be one staff member for every 50 students,” Capesius said.

Although they are not certain yet, Capesius and Woebbeking believe that the participants will have to stay until everyone has shot once.

The winner of the competition will be able to keep the basketball as a trophy. Participants will also have the chance to win other prizes such as a poster signed by the women’s and men’s basketball team or a gift card from one of the local sponsors.

“In the past, the VEISHEA Tournament Committee has held flag football, basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, 5k, trap and skeet and playing card events,” said Woebbeking.

Since the event is quickly approaching, the head committee members, Capesius and Woebbeking, are trying to finalize all details. For more information, visit VEISHEA’s Facebook page and check out the registration link.