National Nutrition Month emphasizes food color variance

Lea Petersen

Mother Nature should not be the only thing bursting with color this month. The American Dietetics Association is urging Americans to “let color be the guide” when filling one’s plate during National Nutrition Month.

Sarah Francis, assistant professor of food science and human nutrition and state nutrition extension specialist, explained how students can add color to their diets.

“A healthy plate should be half fruits and vegetables and half whole grains and lean proteins,” Francis said. “Have a variety of colors when it comes to fruits and vegetables. Dark greens, oranges and yellows, amongst the other colors, provide excellent health benefits.”

The American Dietetics Association provides a quick color guide when it comes to livening up one’s plate. “Green produce indicates antioxidant potential and may help promote healthy vision and reduce cancer risks,” according to the group’s website. “Orange and deep yellow fruits and vegetables contain nutrients that promote healthy vision and immunity, and reduce the risk of some cancers. Purple and blue options may have antioxidant and anti-aging benefits and may help with memory, urinary tract health and reduced cancer risks.”

Francis explained that adding more colors in one’s diet also follows the 2010 dietary guidelines. “The guidelines promote a more plant-based diet — not a vegetarian diet, but there is a stress on increasing fruits and vegetables intake,” Francis said.

Francis points out that while eating right is an integral part of a healthy lifestyle, “more foot and less fork is equally important,” she said. “It’s important to watch what one eats and to monitor calorie intake and output. Walk that extra two blocks instead of taking the CyRide.”

That being said, Francis reminds students there is no food that is considered “bad” and should be avoided at all costs. “Find foods that will satisfy your cravings in small amounts,” Francis said.

Instead of a large mocha latte with extra whip, try a medium skim mocha with less whip.

“For a more personalized nutritional guideline, students should go to mypyramid.gov to explore what their nutrient intake should be based on their activity levels,” Francis said.