Iowa State returns to Hilton to host Kansas State

Guard+Kelsey+Bolte+tries+to+defend+from+Oklahoma+State+on+Wednesday%2C+Feb.+2+at+Hilton+Coliseum.+

Photo: Yi Yuan/Iowa State Daily

Guard Kelsey Bolte tries to defend from Oklahoma State on Wednesday, Feb. 2 at Hilton Coliseum.

David Merrill

There’s no place like home. 

Iowa State is hoping that statement rings true as it returns to Hilton Coliseum on Sunday to face Kansas State. The Cyclones (16-7, 4-5 Big 12) enter the game after dropping their last two contests to Kansas and Oklahoma, both on the road.

The Cyclones lost those two games by a combined total of four points.

With their two-game skid putting them out of the top 25, their road against the Wildcats won’t get any easier. Kansas State (16-6, 6-3) is led by sophomore guard Brittany Chambers, who is averaging 15 points and six rebounds per game. 

Junior forward Jalana Childs and sophomore guard Taelor Carr are averaging 12 and 10 points per game. The Wildcats are currently sitting fourth in the Big 12 and are coming off a 10-point loss to Texas.

ISU senior shooting guard Kelsey Bolte has been solid all season long for the Cyclones, scoring 20 points or more in eight of the team’s nine conference games. Freshman forward Hallie Christofferson has also been on a tear as of late, averaging 14 points and five rebounds during the past four games.

The two teams split at 1-1 last season. The most recent contest was a defensive battle in Ames resulting in a 48-39 victory for Iowa State. At this point in the season last year, the Cyclones were 18-4 overall and 6-3 in the conference.

Iowa State is currently ranked sixth in the conference; however, this is the final game against an opponent ranked higher than them in the standings.

It is unknown whether sophomore center Anna Prins, who missed the Oklahoma game with knee injury, will play against Kansas State.

The game is set for 4 p.m. and will be televised on ESPN2.