Snowball fight on Central Campus mocks global warming theory

Photo: Karuna Ang/Iowa State Daily

Eric Thiel, junior in history, throws a snowball at his friend during the Global Warming Snowball Fight, by the ISU Republican, Wednesday, Jan. 26 on Central Campus.

Brandon Hallmark

Snowballs whizzed across Central Campus on Tuesday as students in the ISU College Republicans hosted the Global Warming Snowball Fight.

“It’s a good way to mock a theory most conservatives don’t believe in. Most conservatives don’t believe in man-made global warming, so it’s just a good way to come out and have fun, and it just puts a political spin on it,” said Logan Pals, chairman of ISU College Republicans and senior in industrial engineering.

ISU College Republicans try to strike a balance between recreational events and politics.

“We’re a political organization, so everything we do will have some sort of political rhetoric to it, but we’re mainly out here to have some fun,” Pals said. “It’s a nice day to come out and have a good time. It’s a great way to interact with each other and socialize. It’s just a good social event to have.”

Pals said there are no plans for a follow-up event for the snowball fight.

ISU College Republicans meets every other Wednesday in the Memorial Union in room 3512.

The next ISU College Republicans meeting is slated for 7:30 p.m. Feb. 2 in the Memorial Union, room 3512, where Josh Byrnes, a state representative, will speak.