Margaret Sloss Women’s Center opens doors after renovation

Carmen Leng

The clothesline strung between the beams supporting the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center is one of the few things remaining untouched since Penny Rice began her position as the interim director in 2000.

The newly remodeled Margaret Sloss Women’s Center held its grand opening Wednesday. The house received many cosmetic updates, from new carpet and furniture to a new roof and fresh coats of paint.

“In the basement … are these beams that I imagine hold the house up,” Rice said. “When I first came down in 2000 and saw the clothesline I kind of wondered if it was holding the house together and I didn’t want to mess with it, so it’s still here. The house is still up and now its renovated and I’ve had the joy of being able to work here for ten years, so I think the clothesline has worked out for both of us.”

The event took place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with a presentation from Rice and Jacob Wilson, the former GSB senator who wrote and presented the bill requesting funds for the project from GSB for the renovations.

“I was very outspoken for the bill to pass for the MSWC,” Wilson said. “Students use this center on a daily basis: multiple groups meet here every week, the center teaches students about gender equity, students are able to use this space to study and victims of violence are able to come here for support, safety and the MSWC can be lifesavers for those students.”

Penny Rice was delighted that the Maintenance and Improvement Committee, GSB and the graduate and professional student senate were able to work together and provide the funding needed for the renovations.

“Without the three groups the project wouldn’t have come together and I really appreciate that,” Rice said.

During the grand opening guests were welcomed to refreshments, cake and a tour of the Sloss Center. Pictures were available of the MSWC before and after the renovation and staff were present and available to talk to.

Ashley Schmuecker, volunteer at the MSWC and senior in religious studies, had never seen so many people in the Sloss House before she attended the grand opening.

“It was great to see the support from everyone,” Schmuecker said. “Jacob Wilson did a great job giving Penny Rice, Chris Fowler, Christine Peterson and Liz Steinborn the credit they deserved.”