Campustown could host useful businesses, lively atmosphere

Rick Hanton

I think many students at Iowa State might agree with me that Campustown could use a facelift or at least an infusion of useful daytime businesses. We at the Daily were informed that many years ago, Campustown was more than just bars, music venues and sandwich shops. There used to be interesting daytime stores and small businesses in Campustown that opened before noon. The Campustown redevelopment plans are simply aiming to recreate this family and student friendly area that formerly existed just a stone’s throw from Friley hall.

The proposed changes for the Campustown area on Welch Avenue make me think of the summer I spent studying in Brunel, on the west side of London. The interesting thing about living in Brunel, like many small towns in Europe, the town was built for walking. We could walk to get groceries, I walked into town to buy a soccer ball one day, and if we wanted to go out to eat, we walked there. Right now if you live in Campustown, you are an equal distance from either Hy-Vee and you probably need a bus or car to get there. If you want to go browse some small shops you have to go to Main Street, another bus ride away. But, if you want to go to bars, you have more than enough options right on Welch Avenue.

The city and university have been pushing to redesign Campustown so that we have the amenities we need as students nearby within walking distance. The planned grocery on Welch Avenue will go into competition with the C-store in the Union Drive Community center, which will give all the students in the area more choices about where they can find snacks and food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Having more parking should make Campustown a more lively area, allowing people from outside Iowa State to enjoy the shops and bars alongside students. There will be newer, better-designed buildings on Welch so you won’t have to deal with bars retrofitted into existing space, sometimes with bathrooms the size (and condition) of outdoor port-a-potties.

I admit there are many great businesses that currently reside in Campustown. Everyone needs to realize that LANE4’s plans for the area are still very preliminary. I’m hoping that some of the businesses in Campustown are able to work with the developers to maintain a presence there in the future. Nobody is yet being pushed forcibly out of the area and even if some businesses decide to sell, they could rebuild elsewhere in town. With the upgrade of Campustown, it would be really cool if we get businesses of the caliber of Olde Main or Buffalo Wild Wings on Welch Ave. in the future.

Major change like this always is tough. I know I have a very specific picture of Campustown in my mind and LANE4’s vision is much different from my own. But, there are a lot of good things that can be done with the area. Someone needs to remove the Varsity Theater buildings and create better-designed shops in the area. Without higher-income businesses in Campustown, there is not money to fix up the buildings, but without the area being fixed up and redesigned, new businesses won’t come in. It’s a chicken or the egg scenario. If LANE4’s plans succeed, both parts will be accomplished at the same time, but the city, the university and businesses will have to sacrifice to make that change happen.

I urge you to learn more about the plans for the development project, and to get in contact with city council members to express your thoughts and any concerns about the project. I’m sure they will consider the thoughts and needs of students as they make their final decision to approve or disapprove LANE4’s development plans.