Railey to serve two-game suspension for team violations

Iowa State Mens Basketball freshman center Jordan Railey. From Iowa State Athletic Department.

Iowa State Men’s Basketball freshman center Jordan Railey. From Iowa State Athletic Department.

Chris Cuellar

The ISU men’s basketball team released a statement Wednesday announcing freshman center Jordan Railey would be serve a two-game suspension for a violation of team rules.

In the early morning hours of New Year’s Day, Railey was involved in a single-car accident outside of Ogden, reportedly falling asleep at the wheel and running a 2005 Ford Escape into the median, hitting a sign and rolling into a cornfield.

Boone County Sheriff Ron Fehr said Monday that alcohol was suspected in the accident, but the athletics department feels it has gathered enough information to put a set time on the suspension.

Railey was already suspended for Monday night’s game against Northern Illinois and will miss Saturday’s Big 12 Conference opener at Nebraska.

“Our administrative staff has gathered information related to his automobile accident over the weekend and also met personally with Jordan,” said Athletics Director Jamie Pollard in a statement.

“As part of our department’s discipline policy, we determined a two-game suspension, including our Big 12 opener, is appropriate for his actions. Our department takes these type of matters seriously and we feel this is the proper penalty.”

Railey is a 6-foot-11-inch freshman from Beaverton, Ore., and has averaged 2.3 points and 2.1 rebounds in 12 games this season.

The Cyclones are playing with a depleted roster, and due to Railey’s suspension, guard Scott Christopherson’s injury and the departure of guard DeMarcus Phillips over Winter Break, the team played with a six-man rotation for much of the night.

Coach Fred Hoiberg signed two Cyclone football players as walk-ons to the basketball team to supplement the team’s roster woes, but will now have the young big man back for No. 3 Kansas on Jan. 12.

“I was disappointed to hear of Jordan’s actions and support this suspension,” Hoiberg said in a news release. “Jordan made a poor decision and this is a great learning opportunity for him.”