Campus celebrates Diwali Night

Nishan Singh, sophomore in pre-business, dances in a Punjabi folk dance called Bhangra during Diwali Night, presented by the Indian Students’ Association, on Saturday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Singh is a member of Iowa State’s competitive Bhangra Dance team that was formed last spring.

Jaleesa Epps

Songs and cheering filled the Great Hall of the Memorial Union to celebrate an Indian wedding — the theme of the 2010 Diwali festival.

Diwali, which signifies the removal of darkness with light and the victory of good over evil, means festival of lights. The celebration was hosted by Indian Students’ Association on Saturday.

“The night was very energetic,” said Yisheng Wu, graduate student in biochemistry. “I really enjoyed the festivities.”

Weddings celebrate togetherness and is a time for family and friends. Like weddings, Diwali is also a time for community. This year at Iowa State, Diwali night was a marriage of cultures.

The night began with a traditional Indian dance praising the Hindu god Ganesha. The dance was followed by a series of performances based on the theme of the night.

From a dance depicting blossoming love between two people to their wedding day, the cultural night provided a taste of India.

An 11-course meal was served after the cultural performances featured tandoori chicken, paneer curry, rice, naan, samosa and more. 

“I loved it, it was fun. The night provided an opportunity to experience rich culture,” said Mashaba Mashala, graduate student in English. “I wish there was something like this for every community at Iowa State.”