Campus to celebrate Indian festival Diwali style

Jaleesa Epps

While many students are planning Thanksgiving with their families, Indian students are celebrating Diwali, a festival that celebrates Indian culture.

Diwali literally means festival of lights. It signifies the removal of darkness with light and the victory of good over evil.

The Indian Students’ Association is hosting Diwali Night on Saturday to celebrate the festival. The night will include a dinner of Indian cuisine and a showcase of cultural performances.

Diwali night is traditionally observed by Hindus, Sikhs and Jains, but at Iowa State the entire student body can join in and participate.

There are a few differences in the way Diwali will be celebrated on campus versus in India.

“In India during Diwali, we celebrate by giving gifts to each other, similar to Christmas. We also have lots of fireworks,” said Vijay Vammi, graduate student in computer science and events coordinator for ISA.

For the 400 members of ISA, Diwali not only signifies a festival representing good over evil, but a time to congregate.

“During Diwali, people eat, drink, dance and share food. Diwali can be celebrated at any location where there is an Indian, ” said Sree Nilakanta, associate professor of supply chain and information systems and adviser of ISA.