Safe Zone Program raises awareness for LGBT community

Adam Hayes

When the Safe Zone Program first was implemented at Iowa State, the idea was to simply get more visibility about LGBT issues in the open by providing supporters with a sticker that read, “Safe Zone.”

A pink triangle was also on the sticker, which was originally used as an identification method by the Nazis for gay men. It is now seen as a symbol of pride, according to the ISU LGBT Student Services website.

The Safe Zone Program began in 1997 in support of LGBT students, faculty and staff. In order to get a sticker to show support, individuals on the ISU campus could simply request one through campus mail when the program began.

Receiving the sticker is more than a request in 2010. Individuals are now required to go through a three-hour training session on how to be able to help students in need of support. The stickers also read “Iowa State University,” and are only given to those who have completed the training.

The process of having to go through training to obtain a sticker began in 2007.

Joel Geske, associate professor of journalism and mass communication and member of LGBTSS Board, said, “I received my first Safe Zone sticker seven or eight years ago, and I’m doing the training next [week].”

Brad Freihoefer, coordinator of LGBT Student Services, trains individuals during the sessions, which are offered throughout the semester.

“What we cover is, what is LGBTQA? What are gender identity, gender expression and sexual identity all about?” Freihoefer said.

The sessions include activities and discussions surrounding those topics to get a better feel for the experiences of LGBT students and to raise awareness on campus.

Those in the session learn how to become an ally of the LGBT community, what to expect with having the Safe Zone sticker on their door and how to be a resource for students on campus so students feel safe.

“It’s that visibility that’s important, and it’s just a reminder that Iowa State is a safe and welcoming community for all students,” Freihoefer said.

The people who attend the meetings are trained on how to deal with situations that could arise with students.

They are encouraged to be a resource with the students and either talk to them about issues or point them in the right direction of someone who knows more about a specific topic.

“We want faculty and staff to be prepared,” Freihoefer said.

Freihoefer likes to keep the number of participants of each training session to fewer than 30 people, so that the people who participate are able to have the dialogue necessary for each person to feel fully comfortable with the topics.

“If faculty and staff members really want students to be able to open up to them in advising sessions and day-to-day interaction then it’s important to let them know that they’re welcome to,” Geske said.

The Safe Zone Program’s topics and training are updated regularly.

“We take a look and we update our Safe Zone training. We want it to be current, we want to use feedback and make sure it’s updated, and use current research and practice,” Freihoefer said.