What are smarts?

Michael+Tschonpl%2C+of+Ames%2C+asks+the+Rev.+Alan+Hartway+a+question+during+a+lecture+about+Catholicism+and+Buddhism+on+Tuesday%2C+Oct.+12+at+the+South+Ballroom+in+the+Memorial+Union.+Hartway+is+chairman+of+the+interdisciplinary+studies+program+at+Naropa+University+in+Boulder%2C+Colo.+

Photo: Huiling Wu/Iowa State Daily

Michael Tschonpl, of Ames, asks the Rev. Alan Hartway a question during a lecture about Catholicism and Buddhism on Tuesday, Oct. 12 at the South Ballroom in the Memorial Union. Hartway is chairman of the interdisciplinary studies program at Naropa University in Boulder, Colo.

Victor Hugg

It is common to erroneously establish a causal link between school and learning.

The widely accepted perception in our society is that people go to school to learn. Yet school is often oversimplified as a mere errand to complete, nothing but an incessant chore.

In high school, widespread apathy is prevalent among both students and teachers. Students are legally obligated to attend, and uninterested teachers are bound by a contract. Teaching in this environment is nothing more than the mere dissemination of information with little or no involvement from the student.

This unconcerned attitude permeates the student populace within the college framework, where the deliberations of original ideas are systematically eliminated in an attempt to suppress any dissent toward orthodox thought. Innovative thoughts or fresh opinions are deemed contemptible.

The demand for excellence in academics has been accentuated to the point where society blindly accepts it as a core value. Earning the proverbial “gold star” for attaining a high grade point average or standardized test score is viewed as desirable. When forced into this rigid and unyielding system, true intellect stands out to an intense degree.

Learning is introspection and critical thinking, not the memorization and subsequent retention of trivial facts, or how to perform mechanical operations. The difference between an “intelligent” individual and a “smart” one is drastic.

A smart individual is able to absorb and memorize an exorbitant level of details, facts, and processes. To these individuals, learning is the acquisition of new information. They do not question what is presented to them, but instead take what is given as fact. They blindly accept the knowledge of others and their experiences, thoughts, and convictions. To put it succinctly, they let others think for them.

In stark contrast, someone intelligent would sternly analyze all information presented to them. An intelligent person balances the information gained through traditional academic means with the knowledge and wisdom gained through their own experiences. Intelligent individuals take the anecdotes of others lightly, and do not allow the influences of others affect their own presuppositions. Tersely stated, they think for themselves.

An open-minded thinker should take pleasure in vigorous debate as a chance to gain insight into one’s own beliefs. The goal of discussion should not solely be to espouse one’s own opinions; it is an exercise in understanding oneself. By asking others of similar views how they have come to their conclusions, you will either see your own ideas reflected or find a new perspective on the issue.

Being among other capable students gives one the chance to discuss ideologies in a less-biased light. You are able to discover how your beliefs are supported, whether it be for its own merits or for the longevity of an opinion, which does not gave it veracity.

Good discussions give one the chance to fully and authentically understand the thoughts of a detractor to an ideology that you value highly. You will either come to realize the strength of your own positions and have greater confidence in your own identity, or you will realize that, by hearing out a proponent of a position you hold in contempt, that every issue is not black and white. You will walk away with a greater respect for and understanding of the beliefs of others. This way of thinking and outlook on self-reflection can be appreciated by all, regardless of what their present convictions are.

Without personally experiencing the thoughts and feelings that naturally accompany inclusion in such a community, one can only gain knowledge by committing trivial facts to memory. Such an endeavor does nothing to facilitate the betterment of one’s intellect, and in turn, one’s identity. Without one’s identity, existence is meaningless. The value of the acquisition of new information in the form of facts and formulas are only brought out through concurrently developing new and indispensable thinking skills.