Big 12 Pre-season Roundup Baylor, KSU, Oklahoma, A&M

Dan Tracy

Baylor

Last Season’s Finish: NCAA National Semifinalist (27-10, 9-7 Big 12)

The preseason favorite to win the Big 12, the Bears return preseason All Big 12 teamers Brittney Griner and Melissa Jones from a squad that was one game away from the national championship a year ago. Griner cemented her presence as one of the top post players in the country in her freshman campaign as she averaged 18.4 points, 8.5 rebounds and set the NCAA single-season record for blocks with 223. Griner and Jones will be joined by Big 12 Preseason Newcomer of the Year in 6-foot-1-inch Rutgers transfer Brooklyn Pope and Big 12 Freshman of the Year guard Odyssey Sims.

The Bears will play one of the toughest schedules in the nation as, in addition to the Big 12 Conference schedule, they travel to Connecticut on Nov. 16 to face the defending national champion Huskies and host Pat Summitt and the Tennessee Volunteers on Dec. 14.

Kansas State

Last Season’s Finish: 10th place in Big 12 (14-18, 5-11 Big 12)

In 2009, the Wildcats missed the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2006, finishing tenth in the Big 12. Coach Deb Patterson will miss 2009 All-Big 12 First-Team honoree Ashley Sweat who averaged 16 points and five rebounds per game for the Wildcats. K-State will now be led by sophomore point guard Brittany Chambers on the perimeter and junior Jalana Childs will try and replace Sweat down low. Predicted as ninth in the Big 12 this season, the Wildcats will play a very favorable non-conference schedule as they will play at home in Bramlage Coliseum for 8 of their 12 non-conference contests.

Oklahoma

Last Season’s Finish: NCAA National Semifinalist (27-11, 11-5 Big 12)

In search of their 12th consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance, Sooners coach Sherri Coale enters her 15th season with a team predicted to finish third in the Big 12 this season. Like Baylor, the Sooners will also travel out east Feb. 14 to take their shot at the defending champion Connecticut Huskies.

The Sooners’ backcourt will be one of the most talented in the country behind preseason All Big 12 guard Danielle Robinson and 2009 Big 12 Freshman of the Year Whitney Hand who missed all but five games last season with a torn ACL. In addition to Robinson and Hand, the Sooners also bring in a top-notch recruiting class highlighted by a pair of post players in 6-foot-6-inch Nicole Griffin and 6-foot-2-inch Jacqueline Jeffcoat.

Texas A&M

Last Season’s Finish: NCAA Second Round (26-8, 10-6 in Big 12)

The Big 12 Tournament Champion from a year ago, the Aggies return under coach Gary Blair in search of their first Big 12 title since sharing the Big 12 crown with Oklahoma in 2006-2007. The Aggies have been one of the nation’s top teams during the last three years, earning a No. 2 seed or higher in each of the last three seasons. Blair’s squad will play a number of top teams outside of the Big 12 this season including at ACC power Duke and against Rutgers of the Big East at the Maggie Dixon Classic at Madison Square Garden.

A&M fans will finally get to see 6-foot-1-inch forward/center Danielle Adams, 2009 National Junior College Player of the Year, in uniform as she looks to improve her game in her first NCAA season. Also, senior guard Sydney Colson and junior guard Tyra White comprise one of the most experienced backcourts in the Big 12.