CyRide considers a GPS locator system

Michaela Sickmann

Iowa State and CyRide are looking into joining the universities across the country by adding GPS tracking to their fleet of university buses to make it easier for students to get to a bus stop on time.

The CyRide shuttle system runs on a relatively strict schedule, and it is difficult for students to time their arrival/departure perfectly.

“I know my friends and I have been late for buses, like I looked at the time I was supposed to be there, and I’ve been too late,” Abigail Robinson, junior in family finance. “If they do have the GPS then you’d know where it’s at and you’d be able to catch it.”

If students were able to see exactly where the bus is located, they would be able to correctly estimate the time of the buses arrival.

This may come in handy late at night or when there is inclement weather.

“I’d be nice to see where the buses are exactly,” said Benjamin Moews, freshman in engineering. “If it’s cold or late at night or the bus is behind schedule you don’t have to stand out there when it’s freezing or something.”

“I hate walking to the stop and it’s raining and I need to be on the bus, and I don’t want to miss it and then I’m standing there in the rain and it’s late,” said Katherine Ross, freshman in business.

Another potential benefit would be higher class attendances.

“A lot of times I’ll miss my bus in the morning before class and since it doesn’t come for another half hour, I end up just not going to class,” said Trey Price, junior in business. “If I were able to see the exact location I’d know just how much time I have to get ready.”

Not only would a GPS system benefit the students, but also the CyRide employees.

The dispatchers would be able to receive real-time updates on vehicle locations which helps with schedule adherence monitoring. They would also be able to keep track of the number of passengers boarding and departing at each location, which can improve the designed routes.

Sheri Kyras, CyRide director of transit, said CyRide is discussing this idea. It has talked with the Government of the Student Body Senate, who has shown interest.

Kyras said CyRide has put together a working group that is figuring out how feasible this would be and when they would be able to move forward. The group is also in charge of figuring out how students will benefit and how they feel about purchasing this system.

Kyras said the system is more economically feasible than it was a few years ago, where it would have cost around $1 million. Now it would cost about $150,000, along with the annual cost similar to a cell phone bill.