National Coming Out Week ends with rally on campus

Warren+Blumenfeld%2C+associate+professor+of+curriculum+and+instruction%2C+reads+a+speech+he+wrote+titled+Many+Faces+of+Queer+Bashing%2C+to+listeners+on+National+Coming+Out+Day+on+Friday+Oct.+15%2C+in+front+of+Parks+Library.+He+spoke+about+opening+up+to+people+of+all+backgrounds+and+ignorance+of+the+gay+and+lesbian+community.+

Photo: Bryan Langfeldt/Iowa State Daily

Warren Blumenfeld, associate professor of curriculum and instruction, reads a speech he wrote titled “Many Faces of Queer Bashing,” to listeners on National Coming Out Day on Friday Oct. 15, in front of Parks Library. He spoke about opening up to people of all backgrounds and ignorance of the gay and lesbian community.

Adam Hayes

The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Ally Alliance and the Office of LGBT Student Services coordinated a coming out rally in celebration of the final day of National Coming Out Week.

An hour-long rally was held for people to share stories, show support and be there for each other Friday afternoon at the Parks Library Free Speech Zone.

Roughly 40 people gathered in a circle and spoke about different stories or concerns about LGBT issues. Many more people stopped by the rally to purchase a supportive T-shirt or listen for a few moments to what people had to say.

Many people at the rally held colorful signs in support for LGBT people featuring messages such as, “Love + Marriage = Iowa,” “All life is precious, No H8” and “Equality not second class.”

Brad Freihoefer, coordinator of the LGBTSS, kicked off the rally by addressing everyone in attendance.

“We’re here to give visible support because there are many people who want to join our circle today, and we want to make sure they know that we’re here, we’re here to support them, as well as each other,” Freihoefer said.

After Freihoefer had finished speaking, he opened up the rally to allow anyone the opportunity to address everyone in attendance.

“We want to make it so we can stand here on campus as a community,” the first speaker said.

According to “The 2010 State of Higher Education for LGBT People,” one-third of all LGBT students will consider leaving the school they are attending due to harassment issues.

Events like the rally are trying to change harassment issues by making the issues more visible, and in a time where many acts of violence, harassment and tragedies have been occurring across the nation, events like these provide visibility and hope.

Many people at the rally spoke of how they had attended the event in past years, but were too shy to speak up about their stories. They spoke of how they can now share those stories because of the support their peers have showed them.

Anna Howie, president of the LGBTAA, was among the speakers at the rally.

“You guys are my strength,” Howie said to the crowd.

The rally also featured a table that had pictures of people and shirts available for people to purchase. The shirts all featured supportive messages of LGBT people and were available for $10 to the general public or $8 for members of the ISU LGBTAA.

Memberships cost $5 per semester to join the LGBTAA. You can use the membership to run for office, vote in elections and attend events for cheaper than the general public, said one member of the LGBTAA who preferred to remain anonymous.

Some of the events include the Pride Dance taking place Friday evening, and the Halloween party, which will take place on the last Wednesday of October.

“We’re committed to providing a place for people to not only be social, but to meet people within your college, and to discuss the issues that you might not get to discuss in other classes,” the anonymous LGBTAA member said.

Freihoefer ended the rally by speaking about the final day of National Coming Out Week.

“It’s been a great week,” Freihoefer said. “This rally is not only about being proud to be Iowa State Cyclones, but to be proud of who we are.”