Cyclones fall in overtime to Texas Tech

Blake Schultz

For the second time in a week, the ISU soccer team fell in overtime. The Cyclones (6-10-2, 1-7 Big 12) allowed a goal 6:26 into the overtime period to lose 3-2 to Texas Tech.

Texas Tech (11-5-1, 4-3-1) freshman Jessica Fuston scored three times in the game to record a rare hat trick.

Fuston scored seven minutes into the game off of a through pass that got past the ISU back line and she buried it in the lower corner.

Iowa State tied the game up in the 38th minute with a goal from freshman Caitlin Graboski, whose shot from about 20 yards away scored right under the crossbar.

At the end of the half, the score was tied 1-1 and Iowa State was out-shooting the Red Raiders 8-4.

Texas Tech came out of the locker room and scored right away in the second half. Fuston headed a ball in on a crossing pass past ISU keeper Maddie Jobe.

In the 62nd minute, Iowa State got a corner kick and freshman Emily Goldstein placed the ball perfectly near the net. Senior Jordan Bishop attempted a shot, but the Red Raiders’ keeper blocked it away. Freshman Theresa Kucera got the rebound and headed it in to tie the game up at 2-2.

From there, the game would stay tied and go into overtime. About six minutes into the extra period, Texas Tech got off a shot, but it was saved by Jobe and then followed by Fuston of Texas Tech and she was able to get it by for the game-winner.

Iowa State will be in action for its last road game at 1 p.m. Sunday at Baylor.