Buddhist meditation, Catholic prayer connects discussed

Photo: Huiling Wu/Iowa State Daily

The Rev. Alan Hartway, chairman of the interdisciplinary studies program at Narapa University in Boulder, Colo., gives a lecture about Catholicism and Buddhism in the South Ballroom of the Memorial Union on Tuesday, Oct. 12. Hartway talked about the significant figures between the two religions and the connections that can be drawn from them.

Rebecca Bindert

Chairs were full, and more were added as the Rev. Alan Hartway, chairman of interdisciplinary studies at Naropa University — the only accredited Buddhist university in the United States — prepared to talk about Eastern and Western spiritualities.  

Hartway, also an ordained Catholic priest, spoke to students about the interreligious dialogue between Buddhism and Catholicism.

“Listen and learn and reach understanding through education,” Hartway said. “Learning about different faiths is beneficial to everybody.”

Hartway went on to describe how knowing more about other beliefs helps one to know more about a person’s own faith.

“They are very different,” Hartway said when comparing Buddhism and Catholicism.  

He described how prayer in the Catholic church and meditation in Buddhism are similar. Both prayer and meditation provide a deeper, richer listening.  

One difference in Catholicism and Buddhism, Hartway said, is how Christians need a language of grace. The language of grace is why we pray.  

“Prayer is a surge of the heart to God,” Hartway said.

Buddhism is more about union in meditation and Catholicism is more about liberation in prayer.  

Hartway spoke with a recurring theme of silence and how it is important to be still and listen. Hartway discussed how we need to take moments of listening and not just hear ourselves talk.  

“My favorite part of the speech was the aspect of silence, and we do need to stop and listen,” said Jessica Wheatley, freshman in animal science. “I was not disappointed with the speech — I learned a lot.”

The original expected number for the speech was 150, but a rough count showed 350 people at the lecture.  

The lecture was sponsored by James A. Supple Lecture, Catholic Community, St. Thomas Aquinas Church and Catholic Student Center, Interfaith Student Council, philosophy and religious studies and the committee on lectures.