Iowa State ClubFest entices student population

Photo:Kelsey Kremer/Iowa State Daily

Ben Tallman, freshman in engineering, eats marshmallows frozen by liquid nitrogen at the Society of Chemistry Undergraduate Majors (SCUM) booth during ClubFest on Wednesday, Sept. 8, outside the Memorial Union. While visiting the SCUM booth, students could also try ice cream frozen with liquid nitrogen.

Matt Wettengel

Whether in a group of friends or plugged into their iPods, ISU students eager to get involved and informed, along with the 287 clubs vying for their attention, filled the Great Hall, South Ballroom, Sun Room, Oak Room and Campanile Room of the Memorial Union on Wednesday.

Brianna Salgado, junior in communication studies and transfer student from Indian Hills Community College, attended ClubFest to see the variety of clubs and organizations present so she could get involved in her first year at Iowa State.

“I came because I’m a transfer student and I really want to get involved in college — meet people, get involved and not just go to class,” Salgado said. “I was excited to see how many people are involved in clubs and how many different clubs there are.”

Reasons for clubs’ participation in ClubFest included the recruitment of new members and the promotion of their organizations. The Physics and Astronomy Club participated in the event for the first time, club President Michael Felderman said.

“We thought we should get out to get our club known,” Felderman said. “It’s a good way to get people that are interested involved. Our frozen marshmallows attracted people to our booth, and we can show people the fun side of physics to try and get rid of the negative stigma that’s often associated with it.”

ClubFest opened students’ eyes to a fraction of Iowa State’s more than 800 clubs and organizations and provided students an easy opportunity to get involved.