Cyclone Family Weekend begins Friday

Sarah Binder and Molly Collins

The events planned for Cyclone Family Weekend, starting Friday, Oct.1, will provide ISU students the opportunity to bring their families to their new home and let them have a taste of life as a Cyclone. Families will get to explore campus, discover what Iowa State has to offer and spend time with their Cyclone student.

“One thing I’m looking forward to is having my parents see how everything goes up here, so that way they get a feel for what I’ve been doing,” said JP McKinney, freshman in software engineering.

“I’m also in a fraternity, Phi Kappa Psi, so my family will get to meet all the other guys and see the kinds of things I’ve been doing,” McKinney said.

Along with his parents, all five of McKinney’s siblings are joining him for the weekend.

Almost 800 families are signed up to participate, said Adam Reineke, senior in computer science and Cyclone Family Weekend co-chairman. This is nearly double the amount that registered last year.

“Its a fun challenge,” Reineke said, adding he would like to double the registration again next year, and hopes that some day the event could be as prominent as Veishea.

Each registered family can take part in any of the activities provided, but because of the high registration this year, many of the events are sold out.

Family Weekend partnered with the Parents’ Association to buy 2,000 tickets for Saturday’s football game against Texas Tech., all of which sold out. Before the game, there will be a huge tailgate, and after there will be a concert from Minneapolis band Dazy Head Mazy.

Friday and Sunday will feature a host of events as well, such as college receptions, Friday night entertainment from Midwest Comedian Michael Palascak. Sunday will include brunch in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union, where families can say their good-byes to students before leaving Iowa State. For the families feeling crafty, there will be an option to explore the Workspace located in the basement of the Memorial Union.