Official numbers reflect increased enrollment

Students gather Thursday, Aug. 19 on Central Campus for the kick-off to Destination Iowa State. DIS is an event to give freshmen and transfer students a chance to learn more about Iowa State. Iowa State enrolled its second largest freshman class this year with 4,552 students.

Matt Wettengel

Iowa State’s enrollment increased to 28,682 students for the fall semester, breaking the record set last year by 737 students.

University employees spent Tuesday comparing information that they have on all students to ensure their calculated numbers were correct. This measure is required because data in admissions and the registrar are not totally in sync, said Kathleen Jones, assistant vice president of records and registration.

“We’ve been making sure that whether you’re looking at the numbers from an admissions perspective or an administrative perspective that they correspond and are correct,” Jones said. “We’re just trying to make sure that all of the data elements make sense.”

This fact checking takes place on an individual student level. The official numbers were sent to the Iowa Board of Regents Tuesday afternoon and were released to the public at noon Wednesday.

The college of engineering and college of agriculture saw the highest increases in enrollment amongst the colleges, while the college of business’s enrollment actually saw a decline. The fact that overall tuition is at its peak is the most exciting news for the university, Jones said.

“That top-line number is the most exciting one,” Jones said. “Part of it is just that we’ve never been this large and we finally did it. Having more students provides more tuition, which gives the university more flexibility to respond to the increase of students. This helps maintain the quality of Iowa State.”