Student Vet Med Association hosts 36th Annual Scamper Run

Amanda Trompeta and dog Hercules participate in the 5k SAVMA Scamper run. The SAVMA Scamper run allowed participants to run in either the 5k or 10k race and pets could run to. The race was held on Saturday, April 27 at the College of Veterinary Medicine.

Jordyn Dubois

The Iowa State College of Veterinary Medicine hosted the 36th annual SAVMA  (Student American Veterinary Medical Association) Scamper run Saturday with the option of a 5K or 10K race.

The race originated as a means to raise funds to help SAVMA students attending annual meetings. The event helps pay for travel, hotels and registration fees for veterinary students.

“We had 148 [participants] in the 5K and 27 [participants] in the 10K,” said Samantha Naberhaus, co-chair of the race and second year student in veterinary medicine.

The rainy morning affected participation numbers. Leading into the race 228 participants were signed up.

Shaine Hoffman, the registration coordinator and first year student in veterinary medicine, said there are two co-chairs and around 20 committee members that help plan and put on the event. Planning begins right after the previous years’ event ended and has resulted in a full 12 months of work.

“I’m excited about the opportunity to work together with my classmates and other veterinary students to put together an event that brings the Ames community and the vet school community together to benefit veterans and dogs,” Hoffman said.

Funds raised this year were donated to the Taysia Blue’s Rescue Huskies and Heroes program. This program reduces or covers the cost for veterans to adopt a dog.

After the race total funds raised were announced resulting in $2,700 raised for the Taysia Blue’s Rescue Huskies and Heroes program.

“Its good to remember how important exercise is not only for the wellness of ourselves but also for our pets,” said Kelly Hewitt, a first-year student in Veterinary Medicine who participated with her dog Cinder in the 10K race. “It’s also great we were able to raise so much money for Taysia Blue.”

The race began outside the school of vet med and looped around Ames before returning to the school for the finish. After the race participants were given dog tags as medals and provided with snacks while they waited for awards.

Some participants also won door prizes that included supplies for their dogs. The top three finishers of each age group received a pair of socks and the first three dogs to finish in both the 5k and 10k race were given a collapsible water bowl and a water bottle for their owner.

“I love running, and I love dogs, so its kinda the perfect race,” said Austin Shadle, senior in mechanical engineering who ran the 5K race with dog Rocky. “I thought it was run well and am always surprised by how in control things seem despite all the dogs.”