Campus isolated, tours continue

Matt Wettengel

Campus tours continued as scheduled for the most part today, despite flooding throughout Ames.

Kylee Rhode, student associate for the Soults Family Visitor Center, said that everyone who was scheduled to tour today was contacted this morning, warned of the hazardous conditions, advised not to travel and encouraged to reschedule their appointments.

“Everything’s been delayed this morning, but the actual tours are running smoothly since the campus isn’t flooded — it’s getting people to campus that’s the problem,” Rhode said.

Flood conditions on many major streets complicated advisers’ and families’ trips to campus and brought cancellations from families planning to tour campus in the next couple of days.

Cheryl Gaebel and her family drove from Minnetonka, Minn., this morning for her son’s campus tour to find their planned route blocked by flooding. After driving back north to Story City, the family was able to enter Ames from a western route.

“We did miss the first part of our tour about admissions, but everyone’s been very accommodating,” Gaebel said. “We’ll still get to tour the campus and see things related to our son’s area of interest, we might just have to do our day in reverse to get back to our hotel.”

Families concerned about their visits are encouraged to reschedule them at their convenience.