Ames City Council puts on annual Welcome Back event

Alexander Hutchins

The Ames City Council will hold its annual Welcome Back event from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 27, at Fire Station No. 2, 132 Welch Ave. The event is free and open to all ISU students.

The Welcome Back event is an annual opportunity for ISU students to get to know Ames City Council members and ask questions about the city and current events. There will also be games, prizes, music, free pizza and the chance to tour a Cybrid bus and more.

City employees will be in attendance to welcome students and answer questions about city services.

This is the sixth time the city has hosted the Welcome Back event. Susan Gwiasda, public relations officer with the city of Ames, said that in the past the event was conducted during a period of two days. The one day events seem to work better and be less stressful, so this year Friday will be the only day for the event.

Gwiasda said it is a great chance for students to learn about all the ways the city of Ames interacts with students that students may not be aware of. Brochures will be provided on city services, like bike routes and zoning regulations, among others.

“It’s a general welcome,” said Katelyn McClintock, public relations intern for the city of Ames.

She said the city’s goal with the event for students is to introduce the student population to what the city does for students in the area. The event also seeks to build a bridge between Ames residents and the student population.

“Ames is a unique place, with its mix of students and full-time residents,” McClintock said, and this event gives permanent residents the chance to mingle with students and participate in activities and games.

With the sixth annual event approaching, McClintock said the city has continued to hold the festivity because it has been such a great opportunity for students to see the city in a light other than ISU and campus happenings. It’s also a great way to introduce students to city government and help them in getting to know the major members of the administration.

Changes to this year’s event include more city employees to welcome students and the addition of more games and activities. The Cybrid bus has been shown to the public at a prior event during the summer, but Friday’s gathering is an ideal opportunity for returning or new students to take a look.

The city holds an annual welcoming and goodbye event, but the previous goodbye event was canceled due to weather. It will return in the spring.

“We really want students to come and see there’s a city outside the university,” McClintock said.