Cleanup begins after heavy storm

Photo by: Leah Hansen/Iowa State Daily

A tree on Central Campus, near the Campanile, was damaged during the storm early Sunday. Fallen branches are being piled near streets for crews to pick up.

Abigail Barefoot

Strong winds and rain wreaked havoc throughout Ames early Sunday morning, causing damage to trees and property and leaving some residents without power.

The storm rolled through the Ames area from 2:15 – 3 a.m. and featured rain, lighting and 70 mph winds. The rainfall accumulations ranged from 1.5 to 2.5 inches, with Boone receiving 1.43 inches. There were reports of hail in some areas.

In Ames

Paul Sandoval, Ames deputy fire chief, reported in a news release that as of 8 a.m. Sunday “electric crews had already restored power to approximately half of the 5,000 customers that lost power. Crews will continue to repair feeder lines, followed by lines serving neighborhoods and finally connections to individual customers.”

The rainy weather and extensive damage to power poles caused delays in restoring power to 600 Ames residents as of Monday, in locations near west Hy-Vee and including Beedle Drive, Dotson Drive, and Lincoln Swing neighborhoods. Another 150 residents in other areas were also without power.

The delay was caused partly because four power poles had to be completely removed and replaced before the power could be brought back on line.

The city of Ames planned to have power restored completely by the end of the day Monday.

On Campus

Les Lawson, director of campus ground services, said this was the biggest storm he has seen yet this summer.

Lawson estimates 30-40 trees were toppled in the storm on campus, with an additional 40-70 trees damaged due to strong winds at the Veenker Memorial golf course.

While most of the more extensive damages will be cleared in a couple weeks, Lawson said the smaller damages might take up to six months to clean up.

“The reports of damages keep coming in, and some of the smaller things we don’t see right away.” Lawson said.

Along with power outages and toppled trees, the horse barn had its share of damages in the storm.

The 70 mph winds blew down a shelter at the horse barn, fatally injuring one horse and leaving several with minor injuries. A mare injured by the shelter had to be put down. Several other horses required medical attention, mostly for minor cuts and scrapes.

The storm also toppled a 45-foot tree near the barn.

Future storms

William Gallus, professor of meteorology, said Ames will have more rain and thunderstorms throughout the week, but not nearly as bad as the one Sunday.

The reason for the strength of the storm Sunday was because of the high heat and humidity occurring in Story County, which mixed with the high winds in the upper atmosphere in northern Iowa.

There have been no reports of initial fatalities due to the storm at this time.