Accustom yourself to large lectures

Alexander Hutchins

When acclimating yourself to classes with more than 200 students, a few key pointers can help you adjust.

Veronica Dark, professor of psychology, teaches a section of introductory psychology that has up to 380 students in the Kildee Hall auditorium. She also teaches more intimate honors versions of the course that have only 24 students.

Dark said the key for students is that they need to attend class. Psychology 101 instructors have also tried including WebCT activities to increase student involvement.

“In small lectures, there’s more discussion, and since you know each student individually you can get every student to participate,” Dark said.

She also encouraged students to take advantage of office hours.

Dark said in the future there is pressure on the department to teach more large lectures as a cost-saving measure.

James Colbert, associate professor of biology, said larger lectures take more preparation from faculty, and thus, they are less flexible. This makes it harder to augment a class toward the interests of a diverse group of students and also increases the use of multiple choice tests.

Mediocre grades are more common in large lectures, Colbert said. He said it is important for students to ask questions, in person or via e-mail, and it is important to make an effort to interact with instructors.

“It’s a two-way street,” Colbert said.

Colbert said the biggest student mistake is not taking advantage of chances to meet with faculty. In his experience, students that have contact the professor are less likely to fall behind.

Ann Coppernoll, program coordinator for the College of Business, said that students often mistakenly feel invisible in a large lecture.

“Anything you do in a large class that is different from everyone else is visible,” Coppernoll said.

Instructors notice behavior like checking Facebook, and it’s not welcome.

Coppernoll recommended that students always try to answer faculty questions and ask his or her own questions when the opportunity arises.

“I think that for new students, the syllabus really is something to follow,” Coppernoll said.

Having a clear idea of what to have read, what the day’s topic will be and how to keep it all organized in a day planner are invaluable steps that can help students succeed.

Learning to pay attention and learning to study are two major roadblocks that must be overcome for success. Coppernoll recommends Psychology 131, the study skills course, as a way to hone your academic performance.

Barbara Mack, professor of journalism and mass communication, said the Academic Success Center is a commonly overlooked resource. The most important element of success, however, is going to class.

Mack also recommended keeping one integrated calendar with all your important dates, from tests to birthdays.

Just working up the energy to attend a lecture where you sit at the back and update your Twitter can be a challenge. Instructors agree the key to overcoming that obstacle is to not let yourself become the student in the back.

Take initiative, organize your obligations and ask questions.