Primaries: Bill Maske

Abigail Barefoot

Budget Cuts: “It’s a tough situation, there is no real answer but we’ve got to move forward,” Maske said about budget cuts. Maske wants to create more jobs to create more revenue so that budget cuts don’t have to happen. Maske believes the government should inject cash into the economy to further stimulate watershed industries, such as renewable energy, regional planning projects and smart-grid technology.

Health Care: Maske likes the idea of the health care plan saying, “It’s a good start.” Among the positives for Maske is the fact students can stay on their parents’ insurance until 26 years of age, which is “a valuable resource for the college student.”

Jobs and Economic Development: Jobs are the number one priority for Maske. He wants funds to go towns and small businesses and town main streets, rather than the big corporate companies. “Funds to Wall Street do not trickle down to small businesses,” Maske said.

Also he would like Iowa to step up and be a leader in biofuels and other green energies saying they are an investment and will put people to work. This would be done in conjunction with creating jobs through federal works programs to work on roads, dams and parks.

Civil Rights: Maske believes civil rights are very important. “It’s what this country is based on.” Maske understands everyone has a right to conduct himself or herself in a manner to be themselves, as long as it doesn’t interfere with others’ right to be themselves. Maske believes lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights do not interfere with other rights, so they should have the same civil rights.

Immigration: Maske believes in comprehensive immigration reform and protecting our borders. To stop illegal immigration, Maske proposes two strategies.

First, he wants to set up an avenue to allow illegal immigrants to become legal so they can become a part of society in an open manner. Secondly, Maske wants to enforce strict rules and prosecution to companies who employ illegal immigrants.

Education: Maske has three major goals for education. First, he would like to have every single fourth grader be a confident reader by supporting both teachers and students.

Secondly, to use schools and teachers efficiently so every student that graduates high school can demonstrate the skills taught to them. This would be done by placing more emphasis on what they know rather than if they completed the necessary credits.

Thirdly, after students graduate high school, they have two additional years at a public institution at no cost. This would allow college students to have two years free at a community or public university, so all students have the opportunity for training for a job.

To people skeptical the idea, Maske said, “If we don’t do it, we will pay for it later by not having people prepared for the 21st century.”

Background: Bill Maske grew up in the small, rural northwest Iowa town of Peterson. Maske and his wife, Carole, are the parents of four grown children and the grandparents of five, with a sixth on the way.

Maske has been a professional educator for the past 34 years. He began his educational career in 1975 as a teacher, coach and athletic coordinator at the American School in Tehran, Iran. For the past 25 years, Bill has been an educational administrator.