Essential events for freshmen

John Lonsdale

Welcome to your freshman year. Welcome to the time of your life.

Being a freshman in college is no reason to be intimidated.

There’s so much to explore and experience – mistakes and all. Many freshmen don’t know what his or her college has to offer, but that’s no reason not to put themselves out there to discover what their college experience can be.

In the meantime, take into consideration these things essential for every freshman at Iowa State.

Take a break from your dorm food to eat a Super Dog, get a pizza from Jeff’s Pizza, or check out Stomping Grounds.

Experience the different cultures on campus, whether it’s a dinner at India Palace or a Sri Lanka celebration at the Memorial Union. Take part in activities that will broaden your horizons about the different people on campus.

Take advantage of Central Campus. Get exercise while playing Frisbee or lounge by the Campanile.

Participate in Campaniling. Have a boyfriend or a girlfriend? Take him or her to be a part of this romantic ISU tradition.

Become a part of a club on campus. It will help you meet other people with similar interests as yourself.

Study. The harder you study, the harder you can party. Take the time out to do well in your classes and you will have a more rewarding experience.

Be open to meeting new people. You never know the benefits of making new friends.

Get to know your professors and teaching assistants but don’t try to be his or her best friend.

Go to the football, basketball and other games. Win or lose, the

Cyclones know how to have a good time.

Listen to bands and other artists at the Maintenance Shop in the Memorial Union.

Attend a lecture or two to become informed on various topics that will make you a rounded individual.

If you think about doing something, do it. There’s no reason not to experience all you can at college.

There are so many things to sign up for and participate in that you never know if you love something until you do it.