College Creek Cleanup returns

Courtesy photo: Merry Rankin

Volunteers clean up a portion of College Creek during the last clean up program. Courtesy photo: Merry Rankin

Ivy Christianson

Slip on your work gloves, it’s time to work.

The second annual College Creek Cleanup is from 1 – 4 p.m. Saturday.

“The College Creek Cleanup is an opportunity for students, faculty, staff, as well as any Ames resident to make a difference to the Iowa State and Ames communities through cleaning up trash and improving the water quality of College Creek,” said Merry Rankin, director of sustainability.

Rankin said volunteers can come to the Forker parking lot to pick up gloves, trash bags and trash grabbers — all provided — and help leave their green footprint on College Creek.

This environmental function was the initiative of a student that was a Live Green! intern in 2009, and wanted to finish her internship by organizing an event that directly impacted the ISU campus.

“This year’s intern decided to end his internship by making the cleanup an annual event, and coordinating the second annual College Creek Cleanup,” Rankin said.

The previous cleanup raked in around 30 volunteers. Rankin and Shawn Wagner, event coordinator for this year, hope to have at least 30 volunteers. They emphasized that they are still accepting volunteers, and students may register onsite the day of the event.

The event is free to all volunteers through sponsorships from Metro Waste Authority, the Main Street Subway and Cookies, etc. Assistance was also provided from Facilities Planning and Management, Keep Iowa State Beautiful and Live Green!.

Visit www.livegreen.iastate.edu for more information.