Student falls into ravine

Jeremy+Croghan%2C+22%2C+senior+in+finance%2C+fell+into+a+creekbed+Saturday%2C+just+southwest+of+the+corner+of+Arbor+Street+and+Sheldon+Avenue.+Croghan+was+attempting+to+help+a+friend+when+he+fell+and+was+injured.+As+of+Monday+afternoon%2C+he+was+listed+in+critical+condition+at+Mercy+Medical+Center+in+Des+Moines.+

Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Jeremy Croghan, 22, senior in finance, fell into a creekbed Saturday, just southwest of the corner of Arbor Street and Sheldon Avenue. Croghan was attempting to help a friend when he fell and was injured. As of Monday afternoon, he was listed in critical condition at Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines.

Chelsea Davis

An ISU student is in critical condition after falling into a ravine Saturday morning at the southwest corner of Arbor Street and Sheldon Avenue.

Jeremy Croghan, senior in finance, was trying to help a friend who had fallen into the creek bed, when he fell at least 10 feet into the ravine.

Ames Police received a call at around 2:18 a.m. Saturday from one of the three people Croghan was walking with on Sheldon Avenue.

“We monitored a radio call from the Ames police department Saturday morning that someone had fallen into the ditch or creek bed there,” said Jerry Stewart, ISU director of public safety. “It was determined that there was no foul play, though; this was a public accident.”

Annette Hacker, program director of university relations, said the area is south of campus proper but is still owned by Iowa State.

Croghan was injured, and taken by the emergency medical helicopter Mercy One to Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines.

Croghan’s family declined comment as of Monday afternoon.

“They said, though, that they appreciate the concern and support shown by students at Iowa State,” said Gregg Lagan, media relations representative for Mercy Medical Center.

No information has been released in regard to Croghan’s specific injuries.