Raven Gileau, ISU sophomore, identified by Ames Police

ISU accounting sophomore Raven Gileau was found dead early Sunday morning on the railroad tracks near 13th and Ontario after friends reported her missing from a gathering in Campustown. Photo Courtesy/Facebook

Rashah Mcchesney

Ames Police have identifed 19-year-old Raven Nicole Gileau, sophomore in accounting, as the woman believed to have been struck by a train early Sunday morning.

Gileau was leaving a bar in Campustown with a friend and presumably headed home when she took shelter under the railroad bridge near Ontario Avenue and 13th Street, said Ames Police Cmdr. Mike Brennan, said. She had been drinking.

“She got to the point where she couldn’t walk anymore,” Brennan said.

According to weather.com there were thunderstorms and wind gusts Saturday night and into Sunday morning.

Gileau, who was wearing shorts at the time of her disappearance stayed under the bridge while her friend went to retrieve a vehicle.

“Her friend said, ‘stay there out of the rain and the cold’ he said he’d go get a car,” Brennan said. However, when he returned with a friend, Gileau was no longer there.

Ames police received a missing persons report at 3:19 a.m. from Gileau’s roommate in building 52 of Frederikson Court according to police records.

The record was later changed to read ‘death investigation’ after police found Gileau on the tracks.

While they were searching for her Brennan said the Ames police department got a call from Union Pacific saying that one of the engineers had seen something next to the tracks.

Mark Davis, director of corporate relations and media for Iowa with Union Pacific, said it isn’t out of ordinary for engineers to call the town they are going through when they see something out of the ordinary.

Davis said Union Pacific got a call around 5:15 a.m. asking them to stop train traffic through the area after they had found someone on the tracks.

He said there were 6 trains that went through the area in the early morning and they are looking at each of the trains to determine whether or not any of them had been involved in the incident.

Davis said about 90% of its trains now have camera’s mounted on them and the tapes were being reviewed to determine which train was involved in the incident.