Apparel merchandising students host 28th Fashion Show

Katie Jensen, left, modeling coordinator, junior in Apparel Merchandising, Design, and Production directs Olachi Anaemereibe, sophomore in Interior Design during rehearsal for The Fashion Show on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at Stephens Auditorium. Photo: Yue Wu/Iowa State Daily

Yue Wu

Julia Ferrell and Dylan Boyle

The ISU Textiles and Clothing Fashion Show will be hosting its annual display at Stephens Auditorium on Saturday.

The show began in 1982 as a way for ISU students to showcase their designs and is now the largest fashion show in Iowa and one of the largest student-run shows in the country. With this year’s theme, “Fashion Wonderland,” there will be more than 100 garments on display by 40 student designers in categories such as special occasion and street wear.

“The theme plays off ‘Alice in Wonderland,’ so the set is very whimsical,” said Kim Anderson, assistant producer of the Fashion Show and senior in apparel merchandising, design and production. “The set takes you through the process of designing.”

Industry professionals Jerilyn Booth, technical designer for Kohl’s, and Tricia Naden, product manager for Target Corp., were selected March 12 to judge the displays. The judging panel’s selected winners will be announced following the show.

Anderson said the show really starts a month earlier, when committees start with the “broad aspects” of the show — preparing the set and deciding the theme and direction the show will take.

The Fashion Show is both a student organization and a class, Anderson said, with more than 80 people working on the show and about 50 models. Designers, the majority of whom are seniors in apparel merchandising, design and production, Anderson said, create a line of three items and submit items to the show.

With so many designers entering items into the show, Anderson said it’s a challenge to come up with a theme that can represent all the designer’s pieces.

“The set has to be very versatile,” she said. “Something not extreme.”

This year, the show is three weeks earlier than last year, which was a challenge for both designers and the production crew, Anderson said. Also this year, books with all the pieces in the show will be sold Saturday. Professional designer Roland Santana will be the guest designer for the show this year and will also speak to classes Thursday.