Campus gets colorful during Fashion Week

Committee members of The Fashion Show pose for a photo. Flower Power in Philly was held Tuesday at the west loop of the Memorial Union as a part of Fashion Week at Iowa State. Students could create DIY flower bouquets, eat Rita’s Italian Ice and enter for a chance to win a $50 Anthropologie gift card.

Morgan Durick

Campus was colorful Monday with the Fashion Week 2019 event Flower Power in Philly. From 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., in the west loop of the Memorial Union, there was free DIY flower-bouquet-making, Rita’s Italian Ice and a photo booth. There was also a chance to enter a raffle drawing for a $50 Anthropologie gift card. Official The Fashion Show merchandise was out for purchase as well.

The line stayed consistently long through the duration of the event as students and faculty awaited their turn to make a flower bouquet or grab some Italian ice.

Payton Herwig, a senior on the public relations committee for The Fashion Show, said the event was going well and due to its central location, was bringing in a lot of non-Fashion Show people and getting the word out about the show. 

At the flower-bouquet-making station, there was a wide variety of flowers to choose from as well as greenery to pair with them.

“People are obsessed with the bouquets,” said Katie Fast, a junior in apparel, merchandising and design and a member of The Fashion Week Committee.

The activities were free at the Flower Power in Philly Fashion Week event.

Isabel Cournoyer, student and event attendee, said she was just going to keep walking when she came upon the event because she didn’t have any cash on her. She was happy to find out the Italian ice and flowers were free so she could stop by.

“I like Italian ice, and I like flowers,” Cournoyer said.

Everyday this week, there will be an event in association with Fashion Week 2019. For more information on this and to find out what and where events will be taking place, go to this link.