Iowa State Singers and Cantamus performs at competition in Minnesota

Sarah Binder

The Iowa State Singers and Cantamus choirs have been honored with an invitation to sing at the American Choral Directors Association divisional conference in Minneapolis, Minn.

James Rodde, director of choral activities and professor of music, said this year’s conference has had record numbers of registrations, and the choirs will get to perform a half-hour of music for over 700 conductors and 28,000 group members.

“I’d say that’s the biggest benefit — it’s a fulfillment of all this work, getting to sing in a great hall for an audience that’s highly appreciative  and knowledgeable,” Rodde said.

Choirs can only apply to the selective committee of conductors every four years.

Then they are blindly judged on three of their pieces — one from each of their previous three seasons.

“I’m just really proud of our students and all they’ve worked to achieve,” Rodde said.

“They’ve worked together to do it – that says a lot about them.”

Three busloads of students left Wednesday and gave rehearsal performances at Normandale Lutheran Church.

The Iowa State Singers will take the American Choral Directors Association stage at 4 p.m. Thursday, and Cantamus will perform at 11:15 a.m. Friday.

The students will also get to hear performances by other groups, including award-winning Swedish acapella ensemble, The Real Group.

“It’s all about sharing music,” Rodde said.