Search for the missing: campus

Megan Phelan, left, junior in elementary education, and Lacie Corsaut, junior in elementary education, hold candles at the vigil for Jon Lacina on Thursday at the Campanile. Attendance peaked at over a dozen students who held a moment of silence and shared prayers for the missing student. Those attending plan to continue holding vigils every night starting at 9:15pm, and holding a moment of silence at 9:30pm. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Logan Gaedke

Sarah Haas —

Although authorities have released relatively little information about Jon Lacina, the ISU community has kept him in its thoughts.

“Any time a situation like this happens, it sends certain shock waves through a community,” said Jeffery K. Ellens, ISU Student Counseling Service staff psychologist. “Situations like these are difficult to cope with, difficult to resolve in one’s mind because we don’t have much information to go on.”

He encourages people to find support in family and friends.

“It’s healthy to have support and talk about how you’re feeling,” Ellens said.

Yet there are a number of other activities that can help to cope, and peoples’ stress mechanisms vary widely. Some people find relief in exercising, eating well, getting good rest and being aware of how much alcohol they’re drinking.

“We want people to avoid feeling like there is only one way for people to react to a situation like this. It’s important to remember that people cope differently,” he said.

There is no hierarchy of coping mechanisms.

For students who feel like it’s particularly distressing, counseling service offers free clinical services.

“The unknowns can be stressful, but most of the time we learn how to cope effectively,” Ellens said, “But we as a community can continue to support the family and Jon’s friends.”