Haitian students organize aid efforts, support each other

Vanessa Philogene, senior in journalism and mass communication, and James Smith, alumnus, share their concern for Haiti’s recovery. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Logan Gaedke

On Jan. 12, Haiti took a devastating blow when a 7.0 magnitude earthquake occurred, the largest the area has ever experienced. With family and friends still unaccounted for, Haitian students at Iowa State look to each other for support.

Their stories are diverse.

“I was born here, and two months after I was born my mom took me to Haiti. I grew up in Haiti till I was 14 years old,” said Vanessa Philogene, senior in journalism and mass communication.

James Smith, alumnus, was born in Haiti and came to the United States before being adopted.

But they are united by a common bond and are helping each other through this agonizing period. Some have heard from family in Haiti.

“I just got word today that my two brothers and my mom, they’re fine.” Smith said.

Others still have not.

“A few of my family — right now — is in Port-au-Prince, and we haven’t heard from them,” said Mikelange Olbel, graduate student in interdisciplinary studies.

Philogene’s cousin is a doctor at a hospital that collapsed during the quake.

“We still haven’t heard anything,” Philogene said. “She has three children, so we really don’t know.”

But in their adopted home, thousands of miles away, they’re determined to make a difference. The group is encouraging students and community members to contribute to relief efforts in Haiti, and to donate $5 by texting YELE to 501501.

“If Iowa can elect the first black president and fight for same-sex marriage, then Iowa can also be the forefront of the aid to Haiti,” Olbel said.

They’ll be in front of Park’s Library tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., raising awareness for the cause. They’re also organizing a canned food and clothing drive for Jan. 19 – Jan. 22. They also emphasized the need for long-term support.

“This is a time to really help re-build a nation,” said Silentor Esthil-Henderson, senior in history. “There is a positive that can really come out of this tragedy, to tell you the truth.”

The disaster has also bonded them to each other.

“This experience really brought us together,” Philogene said.

Between them, their slogan has been Pa kriye, kimbe lafwa, which, in Creole, means, ‘Don’t cry, keep faith.’

“There’s no doubt in my mind that the people of Haiti are going to get through this, because they’re very strong people,” Smith said.

In the midst of the disaster, each student knows brighter times lie ahead for their home nation.

“I know that God makes everything happen for a reason, and he has a purpose for Haiti, and I know his purpose is nothing that is bad or small,” Philogene said. “I know it’s going to be bigger and greater.”