Students postpone futures to transform local nightclub

Patrons chat with the bartender of Project 20/20, 2424 Lincoln Way, during a soft opening on Saturday. Two students bought and modernized the former Bali Satay House and plan to host a grand opening this upcoming weekend. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Logan Gaedke

Micaela Cashman —

Jay Chen and Phillip Tedja, owners of Project 20/20, 2424 Lincoln Way, are giving their customers the power of the vote.

Chen and Tedja bought the former Bali Satay House in October.

“We were looking to start a business, and this opportunity came along,” Chen said.

For Chen, the possibility of owning his own club had always been something that interested him. “I didn’t think it’d be until later though,” he said.

A management information systems major, Chen figured he’d be a computer technician or work for a big company.

He is only taking one class this semester so that he has much more time to devote to Project 20/20.

Tedja had planned to leave Ames when he was done with school, though buying the club has postponed both Chen’s and Tedja’s graduation dates. Tedja is not taking any classes this semester to focus on the club.

Tedja’s family expects him to take over its business in the future, which he says includes stock trading.

“I wanted to try out something before going back to the family business,” Tedja said. “I wanted to be able to say that I actually did something with my life first.”

Chen, 21, and Tedja, 22, had their parents’ financial support, making it possible for them to purchase the Bali House.

While some aspects of the Bali House will remain a part of Project 20/20, most of the old bar is gone.

“We took out almost everything,” Chen said.

Now the club has a private VIP area, multiple big-screen televisions, an LED laser light display and a glass-top, light-up bar.

Donald Parker, promotional director of Project 20/20, said the ambiance of the bar has changed as well.

“Bali had mostly live music,” Parker said. “This will be more of a club atmosphere. We have a huge dance floor, so we’ll cater more to a dance crowd.”

However, Project 20/20 isn’t just for the dance scene. “We’re set up to cover everything,” Parker said. “There’s a lounge, so if you want to just sit and drink, you can.”

Chen added they will serve food all night. “You can get a late-night meal,” he said.

Part of what Chen says makes Project 20/20 different from every other club in town are the special events they’re planning.

“Every month there will be a new party,” Chen said. “We’ll have a techno night, hip-hop, Latin and we’ll be open for suggestions.”

Additionally, once a month the club will host an 18-and-over night.

Chen said people can go to Project 20/20’s fan page on Facebook and vote for future drink specials. Fans can also vote on monthly events. Chen said this will give party-goers a say in their entertainment.

Project 20/20 has inherited Bali House’s international cuisine. The menu includes food from China and Indonesia, Chen and Tedja’s respective home countries. In the future, Project 20/20 will also have a noodle bar.

Chen said they came up with the name for the club because 20/20 refers to perfect vision, and they thought of their vision for the club to be perfect.

“It’s our first project, and there’s more to come,” Chen said. For Chen, owning a club is a way to gain experience.

“I want the experience of running my own business,” he said. “I want to be able to apply what I learn to other ventures, and I want to meet people and have more opportunities.”

Chen and Tedja have been working to create their vision 12–13 hours a day, every day since Christmas break.

While Chen said the experience has been tiring, he and Tedja agreed that finally opening Project 20/20 was “really exciting.”