WOMEN’S BBALL: Freshmen shine in opening game

Chelsea Poppens, forward, fights for control of the ball after a rebound on Sunday, at Hilton Coliseum. Poppens had 12 rebounds and scored 14 points during the game. The Cyclones beat the Spartans 99-57. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Logan Gaedke

Jordan Wickstrom

The ISU women’s basketball season began as the Cyclones hosted the Dubuque Spartans in the team’s first exhibition game of the season Sunday.

Seven Cyclones scored in double figures to lead Iowa State to a dominant 99-57 win over Dubuque. Iowa State was also able to capitalize on 30 Dubuque turnovers, scoring 28 points off of the change in possessions.

The exhibition game marked the first collegiate test for half of the team; however, judging by the way the team played, it was tough to sense even a hint of nerves from the freshman players. Each was able to contribute to the team’s victory.

One of the biggest questions coming into the season was how the team would respond to losing five seniors. Sunday’s game gave Iowa State a preview of what it would have to look forward to this season, as the freshmen accounted for 59 of the team’s 99 points.

“I think we realized that we have to step up to the plate and there is a lot expected of us,” said freshman forward Chelsea Poppens.

Poppens, along with fellow freshman forwards Amanda Zimmerman and Jessica Schroll, and freshman center Anna Prins, each scored in double figures and gave strong contributions to the team’s defensive effort.

Schroll came off the bench and led the Cyclones in scoring with 18 points.

Poppens scored 14 points and led the team in rebounds with 12 on her way to a double double. While Schroll admitted to having pre-game nerves, she was quick to assert herself in the

offense.

“I was definitely pretty nervous, but I think it went pretty well,” Schroll said. “I was mainly focused on just play hard, play hard every second I can, and I think that’s what created a lot of opportunities for my other teammates and myself.”

Coach Bill Fennelly was not the least bit surprised by Schroll’s performance, naming her athleticism one of the reasons she can be an impact player for the Cyclones.

“She does some things that a lot of our players haven’t done here in a long time,“ Fennelly said. “Blocking a shot or a tip in or just jumping over the top of people.”

Fennelly said he believes Schroll’s gameplay could be an exciting progression to witness.

“I think there’s a lot of opportunity for her; it’s just a challenge — like most freshmen — of doing it that hard, that way, every time, not when you feel like it. That’s the challenge, and that’s the journey that all new players go through, and I think that journey has officially started with what happened today.”

It was clear there was a plan to get the newer players involved early in the game to see how they would respond. Fennelly did not deny this, admitting to wanting them involved in the offense early.

“We tried to run some stuff to get them the ball and put them in positions where they have to move around,” Fennelly said. “All five of the kids that are new to the program can walk out of here feeling pretty good about what they did today in their first time at Hilton — understanding there is obviously a lot of work to do, but there were some signs that are pretty encouraging for those five in their first time playing.”