Student Regent to continue career in politics

Greta Johnson, senior in political science. File photo: Shing Kai Chan/Iowa State Daily

Shing Kai Chan

Jessie Opoien –

Eight years ago, Greta Johnson visited Washington, D.C., on an eighth-grade school trip.

Johnson, senior in political science, discovered something during her first experience in the U.S. capital: a love for politics.

Johnson is wrapping up a semester in that hub of political activity, finishing an internship with Iowa Rep. Steve King.

“Everyone has this energy for politics and wanting to do good work for the country, and I just saw that, even as an eighth-grader,” Johnson said. “It’s pretty surreal to look back … in eighth grade, I remember thinking, ‘I want to move back here at some point.”

Johnson has also experienced legislature at the state level, working as a page at Iowa’s state Capitol during her senior year of high school. As much as she loves Washington, D.C., Johnson’s heart is in Iowa.

“I’m very grateful for the experience I’ve had in D.C.,” Johnson said. “You will always wonder ‘what if I hadn’t done that?’ I’m looking forward to being back in Iowa, though. I don’t necessarily know what the future holds, but at this point I’d say I’m definitely more suited for being in Iowa.”

Although her internship will end soon, Johnson’s college political career is far from over.

In October 2008, Johnson was appointed as the student representative on the Iowa Board of Regents. The position, which is given to a student from one of Iowa’s three regents universities on a rotating basis, lasts until one year after the student graduates.

However, the position timeline is extended if the student enrolls in a regents university graduate program.

Former Government of the Student Body president Daniel Fischer supported Johnson’s nomination after working with her in GSB, having known her for most of his college career.

“She has a very positive and calm demeanor,” Fischer said. “I think she does a good job with thinking the issues through, and when [she has] to make a decision, staying calm and just doing the best that [she] can.”

Fischer said the most important part of Johnson’s approach to decisions related to budget cuts is that she has the student voice in mind.

“It’s … a daunting task when you look at the number of students I’m representing and the people I’m working with,” Johnson said, adding, “I’ve learned so much about each of the universities and the special schools.”

Johnson said budget cuts have made her experience “a lot more challenging” than she ever anticipated it would be.

“A lot of it hits home for me,” Johnson said. “I’m personally paying this tuition increase. Of course, it hits me more close to home than any of the other regents.”

Johnson said she is in a challenging position trying to find “a very hard balance.”

“I see the rationale of the universities in wanting to sustain the quality of education … but I also see the student perspective of not wanting to pay more money year after year,” Johnson said.

Above all, Johnson said she recognizes that ISU students are “getting a great college education for a low price” compared to other states.

The philosophy behind Johnson’s decisions is to “make the best decisions as situations come about … [to] take it as it comes to you.”

Growing up on a farm in Le Mars, Johnson’s “typical Iowa childhood” makes agriculture a key issue for her.

Her Board of Regents experience has sustained the “strong passion for education” that comes with having a mother and sister who are teachers.

Of what keeps her grounded, Johnson said, “Number one is my faith. One of my favorite things about my week … no matter where I am … is going to church. Along with that is being with my family and friends … Without that, I wouldn’t be able to be where I am today and stay … Greta Johnson — who I’ve always been.”

Jenon Katt, senior in journalism and mass communication, is one of Johnson’s closest friends.

Katt and Johnson, both members of the Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, met during sorority recruitment as freshmen at Iowa State.

The two will be roommates when Johnson returns to Ames.

“We’ve been with each other through everything,” Katt said. “When she was a freshman, she was very serious. Everything had to be organized … and I was more the opposite side of the spectrum … I’ve learned from her, and she’s learned from me a little bit.”

Katt said it’s “really fun” as a friend to watch Johnson’s successes, both personally and professionally. She added, “If there’s one thing that she’s really good at, it’s that … she takes all sides and listens to all people.”

Other students who have worked with her agree.

“It’s uplifting to have her around,” said Brian Kahler, senior in finance, who has served in several organizations with Johnson.

Johnson has a “motherly role about her,” Katt said, explaining, “She would make sure the couch was open if I wanted to take a nap … Halloween weekend, she makes sure her friends have cookies.”

Baking is one of Johnson’s favorite activities, something to which Katt can attest.

“Growing up on a farm, I think she has that natural ability. One Christmas, I was trying to make Oreo balls, and I ended up… crying in the kitchen. Then here comes Greta, and she came in and finished the Oreo balls and took care of it… She’ll just sweep in and take care of you,” Katt said.

“Greta is going to have a great career someday,” Katt said, “but she’ll be a even better mom.” Katt said she and Johnson will remain friends “forever,” adding that she knows “she’ll baby-sit my kids someday.”

When Johnson isn’t busy on Capitol Hill or voting on budget issues, she finds time for entertainment.

“She loves ‘Jon and Kate Plus 8,’” Katt said. “She got all the seasons for Christmas … She’s definitely on Team Kate. She always loved Kate because Kate is very organized and runs her house on a schedule.”

Katt said while Johnson “has her planner” and “has everything mapped out,” she is also “laid back” and “fairly spontaneous.”

As a friend, Katt said she is proud of how Johnson has approached her role on the Board of Regents.

“It’s a huge honor that she gets to serve on the board, but she just looks at it as an opportunity to serve,” Katt said. “She wants to learn more, and she knows that she can do something for the students at … all the universities in Iowa and the special schools.”

Katt added, “There are a lot of students on campus who don’t understand the decisions she has to make and what she has to go through in these meetings … I think that says a lot about her character and how she handles it.”

Johnson views the challenges of the board “as her duty,” and “as her friend … that’s something you can’t help but admire,” Katt said.

“We’re seniors, so we’re starting to think about the future … Greta just has a great view about those things,” Katt said. “It’s easy to get wrapped up in worrying about that. I am so excited to see what Greta ends up doing, because I know opportunities will just come to her.”

Johnson reflected on her role model status: “It’s so funny to me to think … I’ve attained a certain degree of success. But to me, I’m just Greta. I’m no different from any other student.”