SOCCER: Final home game ‘picture perfect’

Senior midfielder Casey Bothwell drops the ball back to a teammate during the game against Texas on Sunday, October 18, 2009. Photo: Jay Bai/Iowa State Daily

Jay Bai

David Merrill

Senior midfielder Casey Bothwell stood and posed for an extra photo session after the game, which couldn’t be any more fitting, as Bothwell and the other seniors left the field at the ISU Soccer Complex after their final home game of their careers just how it should be.

Picture perfect.

In the 27th minute, freshman forward Jordan Wagner put the Cyclones on top 1–0, launching a shot from 10 yards out on the left edge of the penalty box. The shot beat Texas goalkeeper Alexa Gaul as the wind lofted it into the top corner on the opposite post.

Iowa State took its 1–0 lead into the locker room at halftime.

“It was really windy,” Wagner said. “That helped it because I don’t think it was going in if it wasn’t windy.

“[Midfielder Jordan] Bishop played a really great ball. Her ball was in the exact spot it was supposed to be. She set me up really nicely.”

That goal would be the difference as the Cyclones were able to hang on for the 1–0 victory in their final home contest.

Winning their final home contest was exactly what the seniors wanted to have happen.

“Leaving with a win is huge,” Bothwell said. “I couldn’t ask for anything more; to have a freshman score the winning goal for us shows that this team is willing to do what it takes for each other. Freshmen are playing for seniors and seniors are playing for freshmen. I’m very proud of my team today for their effort.”

This is the first time in four years the Cyclones had beaten the Longhorns, which provided extra meaning for the seniors.

“It’s great to see them win this game,” said coach Wendy Dillinger. “I think all the underclassmen were pulling for them. They’ve had a rough last three years.”

One key to the Cyclones’ success this weekend, despite one loss, was their play on the offensive side of the ball. The Cyclones (7–6–4) broke their 7-game streak of not scoring in the running play.

“I think they did a good job in the first half of doing exactly what they needed to do,” Dillinger said. “Jordan Wagner had a great goal on a cross.”

Iowa State’s defense also showed improvement this weekend as it only allowed one goal this weekend and that came on a penalty kick, the first time this season the Cyclones had given up a penalty kick.

This win gives the Cyclones the confidence they may need as they hit the road for their final three games of the season against Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska.

“I think it gives us a lot of confidence and momentum going forward,” Dillinger said. “The one thing we really emphasized at practice and even throughout the weekend is that we don’t want to go forward until the ball is played there. We’ve been focusing on that in training. You have to get the ball forward and take a chance.”

Speaking of chances, the Cyclones’ improvement in dynamic play around the net will increase their chances of making and succeeding in the Big 12 tournament.