VOLLEYBALL: Cyclones remain undefeated at Hilton with win over Texas A&M

Sophomore outside hitter Rachel Hockaday prepares for a serve during the Texas A&M game at Hilton Coliseum on Wednesday, October 14. The Cyclones swept the Aggies 3-0 to remain undefeated at home for the 2009 season. Hockaday led Iowa State with 15 kills in the game. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State DailyPhoto: Kelsey Kremer/Iowa State Daily

Kelsey Kremer

Shane Lucas

The ISU volleyball team picked up its first win over a ranked opponent this season and its sixth in a row Wednesday night at Hilton Coliseum.

The No. 13 Cyclones (15-3, 7-2 Big 12) defeated the No. 22 Aggies (12-4, 5-3) in straight sets (26-24, 25-21, 26-24) to gain possession of second place in the Big 12.

Texas A&M hit .211 against the Cyclones and held a consistent block, but the Cyclones were able to capitalize on timely errors.

“They did a lot of movement that we hadn’t really planned for,” said head coach Christy Johnson-Lynch. “It took us time to figure out exactly what they were doing and how to respond to it.”

The Aggies rattled off five straight points at the end of the first set to force the set into extra action. Following a timeout, outside hitter Kelsey Peterson had two straight kills to give the Cyclones the set.

“I knew someone had to put it away so I just went for it,” Peterson said.

Letting opponents back into the game has been a recent problem for the Cyclones, but Johnson-Lynch made sure they didn’t let the first set slip away.

“Coach just told us to stay aggressive, make aggressive plays and have energy,” said sophomore outside hitter Rachel Hockaday, who had a match-high 15 kills. “The little stuff that we need to make adjustments on will come.”

The second set saw a much stronger block from A&M, but the Cyclones were able to find their way around it to hit .367 in the set. A pair of 3-0 runs for the Cyclones gave them an 18-11 advantage in the middle of the set. The Aggies were once again able to find their way back with a 8-2 run that saw them controlling the net.

“You had to read a lot more around the block,” junior libero Ashley Mass said. “They ran a lot of combos, so our block setup was always all over the place.”

Mass recorded a team-high 12 digs that moved her up to third in Iowa State history and 10th all-time in the Big 12.

The Cyclones trailed for the majority of the third set before grabbing their first lead at 21-20. A&M was able to stay alive with a few small runs before a Debbie Stadick and Kaylee Manns block put the match away for Iowa State.

“When it got close I thought we looked pretty relaxed,” Johnson-Lynch said. “I think there were some butterflies out there because it was a really big match but they found a way to still settle down and win.”

Junior outside hitter Victoria Henson recorded a double-double with 12 kills and 10 digs and Manns recorded a match-high 42 assists. Peterson hit a career high .467 and freshman middle blocker Jamie Straube recorded four kills, one solo block and two block assists in her third straight start.

The Aggies were led by senior outside hitters Jennifer Banse and Sarah Ammerman who recorded 13 and 11 kills, respectively. Senior setter Kristen Schevikhoven led the Aggies with 28 assists.

Iowa State has the weekend off before heading to Lincoln to take on No. 7 Nebraska next Wednesday in an important Big matchup.

“It’s time for a win,” Hockaday said. “I think our team is ready.”